Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Help on lookup functions

I have a chart with anywhere between 1 to 12 columns, and anywhere between 1
to 144 rows. The columns used are anywhere between K-V, and rows range from
5 to 148. Now, data is not in every cell in this range, and the number of
columns and rows is determined by another number used, so not even every
column is used. But the maximum potential number of rows, columns, and cells
are those.

What I want to do is reference the data that is in this range. Row 4
contains the headers and names of each column. For example:

------K----L----M----N---- (Column locations)
(4)___A___B___C___D___ (Column text name, not column location)
(5)___1___2___3___4___ (Data)
(6)___5___6___7___8___ (Data)

^-- Row Numbers

What I want to do, is given a data value, I want to return the Column Name
(row 4) that the data falls under.

For instance, if I'm searching for the data value of "7", I want to return
"C".

What's the easiest way to do this? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

By the way, for the return value in my example when searching "7" I want to
return "C" in the next column.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming there is only one instance of the lookup value...

K2 = lookup value

Array entered** :

=INDEX(K4:V4,MAX((K5:V148=K2)*COLUMN(K5:V148))-MIN(COLUMN(K5:V148))+1)

key then hit ENTER.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP