Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Concatenation

Hi
I need to join the numbers from 2 cells so that I can use them in a vlookup.
When I do a concatenation, then a paste special, values, the vlookup can't
use it. Any ideas?

Thanks and have...
--
OneFineDay
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hummm, short on info but perhaps use INDERECT on the concatenation cell in
your VLOOKUP...

VLOOKUP(INDERICT(A1),B1:C20,2,0)

where A1 has a formula something like this...

=D1&E1

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"M Thompson" wrote in message
Hi
I need to join the numbers from 2 cells so that I can use them in a
vlookup.
When I do a concatenation, then a paste special, values, the vlookup can't
use it. Any ideas?

Thanks and have...
--
OneFineDay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Instead of using: =VLOOKUP(A1&B1,...,2,0)
try it as: =VLOOKUP((A1&B1)+0,...,2,0)
which coerces the concatenation lookup value to a real number
It should work ok now. Success? Click YES button below.
--
Max
Singapore
"M Thompson" wrote:
I need to join the numbers from 2 cells so that I can use them in a vlookup.
When I do a concatenation, then a paste special, values, the vlookup can't
use it. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can try the concatenation within the formula itself
VLOOKUP(A1&B1,...,)
--
If this post helps click Yes
---------------

"M Thompson" wrote:

Hi
I need to join the numbers from 2 cells so that I can use them in a vlookup.
When I do a concatenation, then a paste special, values, the vlookup can't
use it. Any ideas?

Thanks and have...
--
OneFineDay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

"M Thompson" wrote:
Max...this worked fantastic! Thanks much.

No prob. Glad that did it for you

Can you give me some idea how this forces it to a number?

Not exactly sure how, but that's one of the techniques to force text nums to
real nums. It "triggers" Excel to do it. You could also do a "multiply by 1"
operation instead of an "add zero" calc to achieve the same effect.