Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how to count unique values and show each different one

I have a long column of ZIPS. I need a formula that will tell me which ZIPS
I have and how many there are of each.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Suppose these are in A1:A1000
Insert a new row 1 and in A1 type a label (could be just the word ZIP)
Select all of the occupied A cells; use Data | Advanced Filter and specify
Unique
Now you have a list of the zips; copy these to A1 of Sheet 2
Select the data in A of Sheet1 again and use Data | Advanced Filter and
specify show all
In B1 of Sheet 2 use =COUNTIF(Sheet1!A:A,Sheet2!A1)
Copy this don the column

OR : take the plunge and learn the magic of Pivot Tables

Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
And Debra's own site:

John Walkenbach also has some at:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
(look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...lconPT101.aspx

best wsihes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"mmwrites" wrote in message
I have a long column of ZIPS. I need a formula that will tell me which
ZIPS
I have and how many there are of each.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you have them in Col A
Then enter a heading in A1 (like Zip, insert a row if required), select Col A
choose Data-Filter-Advanced Filter
Click on Unique values only
enter B1 in Copy to

This will give you list of unique zip in Col B
now in C2 enter
=COUNTIF(A:A,B2)
and copy down till the end of your data to get the count
"mmwrites" wrote:

I have a long column of ZIPS. I need a formula that will tell me which ZIPS
I have and how many there are of each.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use a Pivot Table. It will produce a nice listing of each unique code with
the number of times it occurs.

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200853

"mmwrites" wrote:

I have a long column of ZIPS. I need a formula that will tell me which ZIPS
I have and how many there are of each.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello,

I suggest to take Pfreq or Lfreq from he
http://www.sulprobil.com/html/listfreq.html

Regards,
Bernd