Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Pre-programming keys

In some spreadsheets I need to enter a phrase in many cells. Is it possible
to pre-program the function keys with a phrase so it may be inserted into a
spreadsheet at the push of that key. If so, how can it be done?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.newusers

How about a nice custom menu toolbar

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
In some spreadsheets I need to enter a phrase in many cells. Is it
possible to pre-program the function keys with a phrase so it may be
inserted into a spreadsheet at the push of that key. If so, how can it be
done?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Don Guillett" wrote...
How about a nice custom menu toolbar

Not so simple in Excel 2007.

To answer the OP's question, it can be done for entire cell entries
from READY mode, but not in ENTER, POINT or EDIT modes. It involves
convoluted macros like

Sub foobar() 'set keystroke macros
Application.OnKey "+^{F1}", "foobar1"
Application.OnKey "+^{F2}", "foobar2"
End Sub

Sub unfoobar() 'clear keystroke macros
Application.OnKey "+^{F1}"
Application.OnKey "+^{F2}"
End Sub

Private Sub foobar1() 'one macro
ActiveCell.Value2 = "foo"
End Sub

Private Sub foobar2() 'another macro
ActiveCell.Value2 = "bar"
End Sub

Much. much, much better to use a general macro utility like AutoIt to
do this.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On May 15, 11:33*am, "Bill Ridgeway" wrote:
In some spreadsheets I need to enter a phrase in many cells. *Is it possible
to pre-program the function keys with a phrase so it may be inserted into a
spreadsheet at the push of that key. *If so, how can it be done?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Does it have to be the function keys? Why not record a regular macro
and assign it to a keystroke? Or even put it up on the QAT?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Ed from AZ" wrote in message
On May 15, 11:33 am, "Bill Ridgeway" wrote:
In some spreadsheets I need to enter a phrase in many cells. Is it
possible
to pre-program the function keys with a phrase so it may be inserted into
spreadsheet at the push of that key. If so, how can it be done?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Does it have to be the function keys? Why not record a regular macro
and assign it to a keystroke? Or even put it up on the QAT?

Ed

Thanks Ed.
No. It doesn't have to be function keys. Just thought they are the least
used keys and wouldn't cause a conflict if used for my purpose. What's the
QAT?

Bill Ridgeway

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.newusers

What's the QAT?

In XL 2007, it's the Quick Access Toolbar. When MS introduced the
ribbon, they eliminated all the standard toolbars that we could
customize with macros and frequently used commands. Now the best you
can do is add it to the QAT.

Ed