Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Amy Amy is offline

Default What causes = not to work?

On several occasions lately I've had the misfortune of my spreadsheet
refusing to treat a formula as a formula. Instead it shows me the formula.
i.e. "=A2+A4" instead of "16". What causes this??? How do I avoid it?

Also, when the formula does work, I'm having an issue when I drag the
formula to other cells that it doesn't process unless I manually go into that
cell and hit enter. The formula reads correctly, but the result is the same
that was in the first cell until I click in the cell and hit enter. (This is
not a relative/absolute reference issue)

If these ring a bell to anyone...please help!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try checking your automatic calculation settings. ToolsOptionsCalculation.
Make sure Automatic is selected.

Or use F9 to calculate if you want it on manual.

Rhos

"Amy" wrote:

On several occasions lately I've had the misfortune of my spreadsheet
refusing to treat a formula as a formula. Instead it shows me the formula.
i.e. "=A2+A4" instead of "16". What causes this??? How do I avoid it?

Also, when the formula does work, I'm having an issue when I drag the
formula to other cells that it doesn't process unless I manually go into that
cell and hit enter. The formula reads correctly, but the result is the same
that was in the first cell until I click in the cell and hit enter. (This is
not a relative/absolute reference issue)

If these ring a bell to anyone...please help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Amy,

two thoughts:-

is calculation set to manual?
Tools|Options - Calculation tab and select auto.

Are these cells formatted as text when you enter a formula?
Ensure they are formatted as 'general'

Mike

"Amy" wrote:

On several occasions lately I've had the misfortune of my spreadsheet
refusing to treat a formula as a formula. Instead it shows me the formula.
i.e. "=A2+A4" instead of "16". What causes this??? How do I avoid it?

Also, when the formula does work, I'm having an issue when I drag the
formula to other cells that it doesn't process unless I manually go into that
cell and hit enter. The formula reads correctly, but the result is the same
that was in the first cell until I click in the cell and hit enter. (This is
not a relative/absolute reference issue)

If these ring a bell to anyone...please help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Amy" wrote:
On several occasions lately I've had the misfortune of my spreadsheet
Instead it shows me the formula. i.e. "=A2+A4" instead of "16". What
causes this??? How do I avoid it?

If this happens in all cells with formulas, click Tools Options View and
be sure that Formulas is unchecked.

More likely, the individual cells that show the formula were explicitly
formatted as Text when you entered the formula. Select those cells, click
Format Cells Number and select General or any other format that you
want. Then press F2 and Enter (or ctrl-shift-Enter for array formulas).

I'm having an issue when I drag the formula to other cells that it doesn't
process unless I manually go into that cell and hit enter.

Click Tools Options Calculation and click Automatic. You probably have
Manual set.

Caveat emptor: Manual calculation might be set for good reason, notably to
avoid recalculation of cells with random expression (RAND or RANDBETWEEN).
If that's the case, you might want to retain Manual calculation mode and
simply press F9 every time you want to cause recalculation (sigh).

On several occasions lately I've had the misfortune of my spreadsheet
refusing to treat a formula as a formula. Instead it shows me the formula.
i.e. "=A2+A4" instead of "16". What causes this??? How do I avoid it?

Also, when the formula does work, I'm having an issue when I drag the
formula to other cells that it doesn't process unless I manually go into
that
cell and hit enter. The formula reads correctly, but the result is the
same
that was in the first cell until I click in the cell and hit enter. (This
is
not a relative/absolute reference issue)

If these ring a bell to anyone...please help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Okay. the calculation being set to manual seems to the problem.

But when I change it to automatic, it reverts to manual the next time I open
Excel! Is there somewhere else that I can change this default setting?

Thanks to all!

Amy

"Amy" wrote:

On several occasions lately I've had the misfortune of my spreadsheet
refusing to treat a formula as a formula. Instead it shows me the formula.
i.e. "=A2+A4" instead of "16". What causes this??? How do I avoid it?

Also, when the formula does work, I'm having an issue when I drag the
formula to other cells that it doesn't process unless I manually go into that
cell and hit enter. The formula reads correctly, but the result is the same
that was in the first cell until I click in the cell and hit enter. (This is
not a relative/absolute reference issue)

If these ring a bell to anyone...please help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Amy Amy is offline

If I'm opening an existing document, that's true. When I just open Excel, new
doc, it is defaulted to manual calc mode. I do this a lot because I'm pasting
data from other programs and then running a macro to create a report.

How can I set it, so that when I open Excel, it opens in automatic calc mode??

Thanks!

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Calculation is set by the method specified in the FIRST file to open

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Amy" wrote:

On several occasions lately I've had the misfortune of my spreadsheet
refusing to treat a formula as a formula. Instead it shows me the
formula.
i.e. "=A2+A4" instead of "16". What causes this??? How do I avoid it?

Also, when the formula does work, I'm having an issue when I drag the
formula to other cells that it doesn't process unless I manually go
into that
cell and hit enter. The formula reads correctly, but the result is the
same
that was in the first cell until I click in the cell and hit enter.
(This is
not a relative/absolute reference issue)

If these ring a bell to anyone...please help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Calculation is set by the method specified in the FIRST file to open
If you have book.xlt and it is set to automatic then open it first. I have
my excel open to a Menu.xls which does have automatic set by the properties
in a desktop button.

C:\myfolder\MENU.xls
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Amy" wrote:

On several occasions lately I've had the misfortune of my
spreadsheet
refusing to treat a formula as a formula. Instead it shows me the
formula.
i.e. "=A2+A4" instead of "16". What causes this??? How do I avoid
it?

Also, when the formula does work, I'm having an issue when I drag
the
formula to other cells that it doesn't process unless I manually go
into that
cell and hit enter. The formula reads correctly, but the result is
the
same
that was in the first cell until I click in the cell and hit enter.
(This is
not a relative/absolute reference issue)

If these ring a bell to anyone...please help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Amy Amy is offline

Thanks, Don. I can do that. It's just frustrating because this problem just
popped up out of nowhere and I'm not sure what caused it. Thanks again for
the great help!

Amy