Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Data Lookup

I have a 3500+ row spreadsheet that contains trade show attendee data. One
column represents the 'interests' of the attendee. They made selections from
21 different 'interests'. The data is represented in the cell by a 2 digit
number seperated by a colon (i.e. 10:11:13:20:etc). Of the 21 possible I am
only interested in 6. I set up a table, in a seperate worksheet, that has 2
columns, one column for the identifying 2 digit number and the other column
for descriptive text.
How do I search each cell for the interests I"m looking for and have the
information displayed using the descriptive text? I presume I'll have 6
different formulas (one for each item I'm interested in) but am not having
any luck trying to setup VLookup.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dennis,

You could have a column of formulas like this:

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("11",C2)),"",VLOOKUP(11,Sheet2!$A $1:$A$22,2,FALSE))

and then change the "11" and 11 to the next number for the next column.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Dennis" wrote in message
I have a 3500+ row spreadsheet that contains trade show attendee data. One
column represents the 'interests' of the attendee. They made selections from
21 different 'interests'. The data is represented in the cell by a 2 digit
number seperated by a colon (i.e. 10:11:13:20:etc). Of the 21 possible I am
only interested in 6. I set up a table, in a seperate worksheet, that has 2
columns, one column for the identifying 2 digit number and the other column
for descriptive text.
How do I search each cell for the interests I"m looking for and have the
information displayed using the descriptive text? I presume I'll have 6
different formulas (one for each item I'm interested in) but am not having
any luck trying to setup VLookup.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Fantastic!!! Your formula worked like a charm once I substituted actual cell
locations.
Thank you very much,
Dennis