Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default format dates to mm-dd-yy

Hello I received a workbook and all the dates are formattted as text and
look like this 090323(means Mar 23 09) . How do I format this as a date to
read Mar 23 09 Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This **might** work...

Select the cells in question
Goto the menu DataText to Columns
Click Next twice
In step 3 of the wizard, under Column data format select DateYMD
Finish

That might convert those entries into a true Excel date then you can format
in the date format of your choice.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Wanna Learn" wrote in message
Hello I received a workbook and all the dates are formattted as text
and
look like this 090323(means Mar 23 09) . How do I format this as a date to
read Mar 23 09 Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the column
Data--'Text to Columns'
Next--Next-- will take you to Step3 of the Wizard

Select Date and from drop down select YMD
Hit Finish.

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Wanna Learn" wrote:

Hello I received a workbook and all the dates are formattted as text and
look like this 090323(means Mar 23 09) . How do I format this as a date to
read Mar 23 09 Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Another approach is =DATE(LEFT(A1,2),MID(A1,3,2),RIGHT(A1,2))
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Wanna Learn" wrote in message
Hello I received a workbook and all the dates are formattted as text
and
look like this 090323(means Mar 23 09) . How do I format this as a date to
read Mar 23 09 Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well I think the easiest and straight forward method would be breaking the
column into 3. One with Left(A1,2), then Mid(A1,3,2) and lastly Right(A1,2).
Once you've done this use =CONCATENATE(C1,"/",D1,"/",B1) which will combine
the three column into the date you want to show. It's a tad long but would do
the job.