Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default change Excel password

Recently I decided to protect my Excel files pertaining to banking and
finance.
After a couple of days I found that I was inconvenienced by having too long
a password, so I decided to use a shorter password

I went to the €˜MS Change Protection Help but couldnt apply it.

What are the simple steps to change my password?

--
chequer
When the game is over, the King and the pawn share the same box.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel has lots of passwords.

One for the sheet, one for the workbook (to stop
inserting/deleting/renaming/moving sheets), another one to open the workbook,
another one to allow write access and even one that can be used to protect the
workbook's project (VBA code).

I'm guessing that you want to change the password that you see when you try to
open the workbook.

Open your workbook.
File|SaveAs (in xl2003 menus)
Tools|General Options
And specify the password to open (delete the existing and add the new version).

chequer wrote:

Recently I decided to protect my Excel files pertaining to banking and
finance.
After a couple of days I found that I was inconvenienced by having too long
a password, so I decided to use a shorter password

I went to the €˜MS Change Protection Help but couldnt apply it.

What are the simple steps to change my password?

--
chequer
When the game is over, the King and the pawn share the same box.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, Dave,
It is a single worksheet.
Where you said, (delete the existing and add the new version), I take it
that this means, (delete the existing PASSWORDand add the new PASSWORD).
While waiting for a reply I unprotected the work sheet, copied it to a new
worksheet then deleted the sheet that I had removed the protection from.
When I had done this I didn't bother to protect the newly created worksheet
as I have a password to open my computered.
Wouldn't this give all my files protection?.

--

chequer wrote:

Recently I decided to protect my Excel files pertaining to banking and
finance.
After a couple of days I found that I was inconvenienced by having too long
a password, so I decided to use a shorter password

I went to the €˜MS Change Protection€„¢ Help but couldn€„¢t apply it.

What are the simple steps to change my password?

--
chequer
When the game is over, the King and the pawn share the same box.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm confused about your terminology.

A worksheet is a sheet/tab in a workbook.

A workbook is the same thing as a file.

So if you unprotected a worksheet within the workbook, then only that worksheet
would be changed. The other worksheets within this workbook (or any other
workbook) would not be changed.

If you created a new workbook without a password, then only this workbook would
be affected. Any existing workbook didn't change because of what you did. Any
new workbook wasn't affected by what you did.

(And yes, I meant delete the existing password and add the new password.)

chequer wrote:

Recently I decided to protect my Excel files pertaining to banking and
finance.
After a couple of days I found that I was inconvenienced by having too long
a password, so I decided to use a shorter password

I went to the €˜MS Change Protection€„¢ Help but couldn€„¢t apply it.

What are the simple steps to change my password?

--
chequer
When the game is over, the King and the pawn share the same box.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Terminology?. Not too sure about it myself.
I'm talking about a single sheet , [Sheet1] with 4 pages.
Thanks for the other info.
--

chequer wrote:

Recently I decided to protect my Excel files pertaining to banking and
finance.
After a couple of days I found that I was inconvenienced by having too long
a password, so I decided to use a shorter password

I went to the €˜MS Change Protection€„¢ Help but couldn€„¢t apply it.

What are the simple steps to change my password?

--
chequer
When the game is over, the King and the pawn share the same box.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can unprotect a sheet by:
Tools|Protection|Unprotect Sheet

You may have to supply a password.

chequer wrote:

Recently I decided to protect my Excel files pertaining to banking and
finance.
After a couple of days I found that I was inconvenienced by having too long
a password, so I decided to use a shorter password

I went to the €˜MS Change Protection€„¢ Help but couldn€„¢t apply it.

What are the simple steps to change my password?

--
chequer
When the game is over, the King and the pawn share the same box.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

chequer wrote:

Thanks, Dave,
It is a single worksheet.
Where you said, (delete the existing and add the new version), I take it
that this means, (delete the existing PASSWORDand add the new PASSWORD).
While waiting for a reply I unprotected the work sheet, copied it to a new
worksheet then deleted the sheet that I had removed the protection from.
When I had done this I didn't bother to protect the newly created worksheet
as I have a password to open my computered.
Wouldn't this give all my files protection?.

Only if the intruder didn't use a password reset CD.