Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Keep Losing My Cell Format

When working with Excel2007, why do I lose my cell format after I close a
file then reopen it? For example: I format a column as a date, save the
changes and close the file, but when I reopen the file the column converts
back to General and I lose the date format (this is just one of the number of
pains Im dealing with, but I thought I would start with this complex
question first). This is causing hours of wasted time and effort. I cant
be the only one with this problem.
--
I bet Bill Gates uses an Apple!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Make sure you are saving the file as an .xlsx (or some 2007 variant) file.
If you are using the enchanced formatting in 2007 and save the file as .xls,
you will loose that formatting.

If that does not solve it, post back with the kind of formatting problems
you are having. Cell fills, currency, conditional, etc.

PJ

"2007headache" wrote:

When working with Excel2007, why do I lose my cell format after I close a
file then reopen it? For example: I format a column as a date, save the
changes and close the file, but when I reopen the file the column converts
back to General and I lose the date format (this is just one of the number of
pains Im dealing with, but I thought I would start with this complex
question first). This is causing hours of wasted time and effort. I cant
be the only one with this problem.
--
I bet Bill Gates uses an Apple!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your help PJFry, but because the file is shared throughout various
divisions and because of compatibility issues (most are not using Excel 2007)
I need to keep the file in .xls.

How would I know if Im using the enhanced formatting in 2007? I guess I
am, but not on purpose. Is there a work around that would fix this problem?
--

"2007headache" wrote:

When working with Excel2007, why do I lose my cell format after I close a
file then reopen it? For example: I format a column as a date, save the
changes and close the file, but when I reopen the file the column converts
back to General and I lose the date format (this is just one of the number of
pains Im dealing with, but I thought I would start with this complex
question first). This is causing hours of wasted time and effort. I cant
be the only one with this problem.
--
I bet Bill Gates uses an Apple!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Under the office button (that little office logo on the upper left) go to
Prepare, then Run Compatibilty Checker. It will show you which elements are
not going to work properly in an .xls format.

See if that flags any problems for you and post back.

PJ

"2007headache" wrote:

When working with Excel2007, why do I lose my cell format after I close a
file then reopen it? For example: I format a column as a date, save the
changes and close the file, but when I reopen the file the column converts
back to General and I lose the date format (this is just one of the number of
pains Im dealing with, but I thought I would start with this complex
question first). This is causing hours of wasted time and effort. I cant
be the only one with this problem.
--
I bet Bill Gates uses an Apple!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I checked and there are no compatibilty issues. I have Excel set to do an
auto check for compatibilty probelms. This is a software problem with Excel
and for the life of me I can't understand why all these format issues are
happening unless this is Microsoft's way of forcing the upgrade to 2007.

This should be easy. If I can save the file as an .xls without clsing the
file and still keep my formats, then I should be able to close the file and
open it without losing the format. There must be some auto setting that is
causing this to happen, does anyone know how to shut this off?
--

"2007headache" wrote:

When working with Excel2007, why do I lose my cell format after I close a
file then reopen it? For example: I format a column as a date, save the
changes and close the file, but when I reopen the file the column converts
back to General and I lose the date format (this is just one of the number of
pains Im dealing with, but I thought I would start with this complex
question first). This is causing hours of wasted time and effort. I cant
be the only one with this problem.
--
I bet Bill Gates uses an Apple!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Same problem and same frustration here. Please post if you find the
solution.

"2007headache" wrote:

When working with Excel2007, why do I lose my cell format after I close a
file then reopen it? *For example: I format a column as a date, save the
changesand close the file, but when I reopen the file the column converts
back to General and I lose the date format (this is just one of the number of
pains I’m dealing with, but I thought I would start with this complex
question first). *This is causing hours of wasted time and effort. *I can’t
be the only one with this problem.
--
I bet Bill Gates uses an Apple!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm saving the file as an .xlsx and I still have the same problem. I'll open
up the file and all of my cell formatting will change. So I have to go in and
change the formatting everytime. With 10-15 sheets this is very high
annoyance.

If anyone has a solution please let me know asap. I'm wasting a lot of time
here.

Thanks!