Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Reference & Duplicate Data Help

I've got the following series of data (maximum of 4 data fields per group)

Cells A1:A4

White
Red
White
Blue

I want to produce a list in another column to pull those values minus
duplicates. So my column should read

Cells B1:B3

White
Red
Blue

What formula do I use to accomplish this? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the range A1:A4
Choose Data-Filter-Advance Filter
List Range box will have A1:A4
Check the checkbox 'COpy to another location' and enter B1 in the 'Copy to'
box
Check 'Unique records only'
Click Ok
"Scott" wrote:

I've got the following series of data (maximum of 4 data fields per group)

Cells A1:A4

White
Red
White
Blue

I want to produce a list in another column to pull those values minus
duplicates. So my column should read

Cells B1:B3

White
Red
Blue

What formula do I use to accomplish this? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That doesn't seem to work. It's not filtering out the duplicate "White" text
value. Also, this is something that I want to automatically calculate. The
text values in cells A1:A4 in our example are subject to change and are not
constant. I want to filter out those duplicate text values automatically.
So if there is a change in A1:A4, changes in B1:B4 are automatically done.

Wouldn't this involve an INDEX formula?

"Sheeloo" wrote:

Select the range A1:A4
Choose Data-Filter-Advance Filter
List Range box will have A1:A4
"Scott" wrote:

I've got the following series of data (maximum of 4 data fields per group)

Cells A1:A4

White
Red
White
Blue

I want to produce a list in another column to pull those values minus
duplicates. So my column should read

Cells B1:B3

White
Red
Blue

What formula do I use to accomplish this? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
well, actually it should work, but maybe you have trailing or leading
spaces somewhere which prevent the duplicates form being " erased".
So, maybe you can record a macro, involving the TRIM function to get
rid of unwanted spaces, then apply Sheeloo's technique.
Then apply the macro when needed.

HTH

"Sheeloo" wrote:

Select the range A1:A4