Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default excel instability - screen scrolls to end of sheet on right hand side

I am an experienced 2003 excel user and have noticed that I am running
into similar problems now that I using 2007. If you work on a large
file with multiple sheets for an extended period (including building
graphs) the program begins to experience resource issues. Now I get
one of two problems - either I get a resource error and the screen
refuses to refresh or I experience a problem where the sheet I am
working in will all of a sudden begin scrolling to the right. There is
no way to stop this, that I have discovered. When it reaches the end
of the sheet - I cannot return to any other part of the sheet. I can
use ctrl home which takes me to A1 but the sheet automatically begins
to scroll right until it once again reaches the end. I had this
problem occasionally with 2003 but this has become a frequently
occuring problem with 2007. Closing the program and reintializing does
not solve the problem. The only way I have been able to fix the
problem is to reboot. Hardly a satisfactory or efficient solution.

Please don't give me the usually helpdesk schmuck about a stuck scroll
key etc. This is not a keyboard problem - it is definitely a program
issue and I suspect is linked to the OS and resource allocation
procedures. I am curious if others experience a similar problem and
given that I have had similar problems with 2003 - curious why they
would release 2007 without a fix.

For the HW buffs who will want to tell me it is a hardware problem: I
am running a Lenovo T61, with Intel Core Duo T7500 running at 2.2 Ghz,
2GB ram - HDrv 93 GB (26% free).
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default excel instability - screen scrolls to end of sheet on right hand s

Hi Scott,

I realize that you believe it is software and it might be but I assume that
you have an optical mouse so next time it happens pull the plug on the mouse
and see if it stops it. I don't have a cordless mouse but I assume that you
can also shut them down.

OssieMac

"Scott" wrote:

[...]

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
[...]

I totally get that you become frustrated and that you feel, as an experienced user, that you don't want someone asking you "is your computer turned on?" Those responses bug me as well.

However, you phrasing was a bit rude. You're asking people for help. Also, you made the mistake that many so-called "power users" do - you have a preconceived notion, therefore request an answer that fits that notion, rather than one that works.

That aside, I'll tell you how I fixed the problem.

I tried everything - as Developer and Sys Admin, I too felt it had to be something deep and involving the core of Excel. In fact, I saw a response that asked "If you're using a Wireless Mouse, it may be that the batteries are low"

I don't use a wireless mouse, but it got me thinking.

I unplugged the mouse and the program began working fine.

If you're using the built in mouse, it may be that it is experiencing a problem. Regardless, I'm not sure how resource utilization could cause this.