Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Vic Vic is offline

Default Change General format to Date format

I have 20061030 in a cell that is formatted as general. How do I change this
into date format like 10/30/2006? If I format cell and select date then it
gives me #############.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi try this in an adjacent cell and copy down
=DATE(LEFT(A2,4),MID(A2,5,2),RIGHT(A2,2))

this assume that you will also have value such as : 20090501 for
1st May 2009
--
Hope this is helpful

Pls click the Yes button below if this post provide answer you have asked

Thank You

cheers, francis

Am not a greek but an ordinary user trying to assist another

"Vic" wrote:

I have 20061030 in a cell that is formatted as general. How do I change this
into date format like 10/30/2006? If I format cell and select date then it
gives me #############.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can try the below to convert the entire column at a stretch.

Select the column.
From Data menu select 'Text-to-Columns' option...
Hit Next...Next will take you to Step 3 of the Wizard
Select Column data format as 'Date'
Select the format in which your data is (YMD)
Hit Finish.

Excel now converts all the text dates to the date format.

If this post helps click Yes
Jacob Skaria