Old April 29th 09, 06:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Function that can differentiate between text & numbers???

I have a spreadspread that contains both text and numbers in every column and
row. The values are in euro. I usually copy the spreadsheet over and multiply
the values by the exchange rate.
Example:
88 98 n/a 50
78 n/a 45 51
I have tried using the IF function, IF(A11, A1*1.35, A1), but this returns
the #VALUE symbol in the cells that contain words.
Is there function that would allow me to copy it throughout the whole
spreadsheet, returning new values for cells with numbers and leaving all
cells with text exactly the way are?
Thank you for any help you could provide!!
Kevin

Old April 29th 09, 06:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

=IF(ISTEXT(A1),A1,IF(COUNT(A1),IF(A11,A1*1.35,A1) ,""))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Old April 29th 09, 06:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

=IF(AND(ISNUMBER(A1),A11),A1*1.35,A1)
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

Old April 29th 09, 07:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Kevin" wrote in message
news
Thank you. This worked great!!

Old April 29th 09, 08:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here is a shorter formula for you to try...

=IF(N(A1)=0,A1,1.35*A1)

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)