Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Value Sum

I had use format cell to change my cell display for a number that round to
the nearest thousand.

i.e. if i input a number 123,456, i use format cell to make it display as
123.5

If i put seperate 2 cell for 123,456 so it will display as 123.5 & 123.5
when i make the sum for these 2 cell it will show the sum amount is 247.0.

Is there any way to make the sum become (123,456+123,456) = 246,912 which in
my cell format and show 246.9?

Please help. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Set the option Tools -- Options -- Calculation -- Precision as
displayed. This will affect the calculations of all cells in the
spreadsheet. So it is upto your requirement

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"evon" wrote:

I had use format cell to change my cell display for a number that round to
the nearest thousand.

i.e. if i input a number 123,456, i use format cell to make it display as
123.5

If i put seperate 2 cell for 123,456 so it will display as 123.5 & 123.5
when i make the sum for these 2 cell it will show the sum amount is 247.0.

Is there any way to make the sum become (123,456+123,456) = 246,912 which in
my cell format and show 246.9?

Please help. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello,

I suggest two have two separate areas here.

One for the calculation, another one for representation.

That way you would just need to apply your cell display change again.

Regards,
Bernd

PS: Enabling Precision as displayed I would never suggest. Please see
topic 4 of my
http://www.sulprobil.com/html/excel_don_ts.html
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"evon" wrote:
I had use format cell to change my cell display for a number that
round to the nearest thousand.
i.e. if i input a number 123,456, i use format cell to make it display
as 123.5

If i put seperate 2 cell for 123,456 so it will display as 123.5 & 123.5
when i make the sum for these 2 cell it will show the sum amount is 247.0.

It appears that you have "Precision as displayed" set. Look under Tools
Options Calculation.

Is there any way to make the sum become (123,456+123,456) = 246,912
which in my cell format and show 246.9?

Ostensibly, uncheck "Precision as displayed". Make a back-up copy of the
Excel file first.

One problem.... If one or both cells contain the constant 123,456, not a
formula that evaluates to 123,456, they were changed to 123,500 when
"Precision as displayed" was set. That change is irreversible without
manual editing. That is one of the dangers of using PAD.

Another problem.... Unchecking PAD will probably affect the calculations in
the entire workbook, perhaps with undesirable consequences.

Another alternative: Put the original constants (or formulas) into other
cells, perhaps hidden, that have General format (PAD does not affect cells
with General format). Then use formulas like =A1 to "copy" their results
into cells that have the custom format.