Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Drop Down Shading

Hi,

I wish to create a means of automating my cell shading - ie, I have a
spreadsheet which uses a cell shaded either "red", "yellow" or "green"
depending on its status.

At present, when I enter in more data, I have to click on that cell, and
then select the shading colour - a little boring and slow.

I tried a Drop Down list, but that only uses text and no colour. Is there a
way I can do this?

I am a novice - so simple instructions are a must!!

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can use conditional formatting to change colour automatically. In
Excel 2003 and earlier you are limited to 3 conditional formats in
each cell (which is what you describe), in Excel 2007 I think the
limit is 64.

If you tell us what your status conditions are (and which cells/
columns) then we can give you more detailed instructions.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Apr 28, 11:21*am, Graeme Wallace
wrote:
Hi,

I wish to create a means of automating my cell shading - ie, I have a
spreadsheet which uses a cell shaded either "red", "yellow" or "green"
depending on its status.

At present, when I enter in more data, I have to click on that cell, and
then select the shading colour - a little boring and slow.

I tried a Drop Down list, but that only uses text and no colour. Is there a
way I can do this?

I am a novice - so simple instructions are a must!!

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Pete,

I have created a Drop Down list and used the Conditional Formatting -
working brilliant!
At this rate, I will be an Excel Guru!!

Thanks again.

wrote:
Hi,

I wish to create a means of automating my cell shading - ie, I have a
spreadsheet which uses a cell shaded either "red", "yellow" or "green"
depending on its status.

At present, when I enter in more data, I have to click on that cell, and
then select the shading colour - a little boring and slow.

I tried a Drop Down list, but that only uses text and no colour. Is there a
way I can do this?

I am a novice - so simple instructions are a must!!

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, there's a lot of them about on this board !! <bg

Glad to hear that you got it working - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

wrote:
Hi,

I wish to create a means of automating my cell shading - ie, I have a
spreadsheet which uses a cell shaded either "red", "yellow" or "green"
depending on its status.

At present, when I enter in more data, I have to click on that cell, and
then select the shading colour - a little boring and slow.

I tried a Drop Down list, but that only uses text and no colour. Is there a
way I can do this?

I am a novice - so simple instructions are a must!!

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -