Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Dynamic database extraction for reporting

Hi

I have a database that is to contain columns such as:

A B C
Cost Centre Code Amount
100000 100 50.00
100000 110 55.00
200000 150 100.00
300000 120 101.45
300000 140 210.00

etc (I would expect up to, say, 20-30 cost centres and a few hundred codes)

The above table would then change each month (i.e. new codes and amounts may
be added).
I would then like to create further worksheets (one for each cost centre)
that shows only the code and related amount for that cost centre.
The only ways I have done this is previously is to either manually add the
codes for the cost centre to that cost centre's worksheet or to add all codes
to every worksheet and then filter the rows with no data. The first solution
is laborious as a search for missing codes must be carried out each time; the
second works reasonably well but I end up with a large amount of lookups
which impacts on calculation perofrmance.

Is there a way of doing this dynamically?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
maybe a Pivot Table might be a solution to your problem

--
Pecoflyer

Cheers -
*'Membership is free' (http://www.thecodecage.com)* & allows file
upload -faster and better answers

*Adding your XL version* to your post helps finding solution faster
Pecoflyer's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=14
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=90779

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your swift response.

I realised, after posting, that I could have mentioned Pivot Table. I have
thought of this, and used them.
The issue I have with Pivot Tables is the format of them. If I am to produce
a report for management then it needs to be in a specific format - e.g. using
subtotals, bold headers, colours etc. etc.
I wouldn't know how to do this from a Pivot Table.

"BabyMc" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks again

I have looked at the formula before but I'm not sure whether it works for me
(though I'm not familiar with it).
I believe the issue with GETPIVOTDATA is still that I am requesting an
extraction based on data that is specified elsewhere - however I won't be
sure which codes I need in the report until they appear in the table, and
then think I would still need to add them to the report to use them with
GETPIVOTDATA.

I hope that makes sense.

However... as you've mentioned GETPIVOTDATA I will look into the function
again.

Thanks

"BabyMc" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The easiest way would be to post an sample of your data and what you
require.
This procedure is possible on our forum

"Pecoflyer" wrote:

Does the GETPIVOTDATA formula provide any help ( see 'Excel -- Pivot
Tables -- GetPivotData' ('Excel -- Pivot Tables -- GetPivotData'

"BabyMc" wrote:

[...]

Pecoflyer's Profile: 'The Code Cage Forums - View Profile: Pecoflyer'

(http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/me...pecoflyer.html)
View this thread: 'Dynamic database extraction for reporting - The

Code Cage Forums'