Jimv

Default Help with Highlighting all duplicates in a row

I am trying to highlight duplicates in a row and am using the explanation:

Highlighting Duplicate Entries

Our first task is to highlight the cells in Range1 that are duplicates. We
use Excel's Conditional
Formatting tool to accomplish this. First, highlight the entire Range1.
Then, select the
Conditional Formatting tool from the Format menu: Format-Conditional
Formatting.
Change the "Cell Value Is" option to "Formula Is" and enter the following
formula in the
formula text box:

=IF(COUNTIF(Range1, A5)1,TRUE,FALSE)

Where A5 is the first cell in Range1. Then, click the Format button and
select the font or
color you want your cell formatted with. Finally, click OK. Duplicate
entries in Range1 will be
formatted as you selected. For example, if "Able" occurs twice in Range1,
both
occurrences of "Able" will appear highlighted.

I am changing "A5" to the first cell in the row and still nothing happens.
what am I doing wrong?

thanks

Jim

Bob Phillips

Select the range as stated, and assuming that we are highlighting duplicates
in row 1 starting at a1, just use the formula

=COUNTIF($1:$1,A1)1

this shows all the duplicates, first and subsequent times.

If you just want to show subsequent times, use

=COUNTIF($A1:A1,A1)1

I would use the latter

--

HTH

[...]