Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Defined name value error

I have created a defined name for a cell b5 containing a phone # and named it
"Phone". When I want to access it by typing " =Phone" , I get a value error.
Of course when I type "=b5" I get the correct value ( the phone #). I have
this problem with all of the defined names that I have created in the
workbook. Any idea what the problem is?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How are you defining the name 'Phone'?
Do you have a column named Phone?

I tried and it worked for me.

I entered a phone no. in B5.
Selected B5 and chose INSERT-NAME-DEFINE and entered the name as Phone
Then went to another cell as typed
=Phone
and got the phone no in B5

"tonys7340" wrote:

I have created a defined name for a cell b5 containing a phone # and named it
"Phone". When I want to access it by typing " =Phone" , I get a value error.
Of course when I type "=b5" I get the correct value ( the phone #). I have
this problem with all of the defined names that I have created in the
workbook. Any idea what the problem is?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have defined the name through the name manager and it is in the name
manager box with the other named ranges. None of the named ranges are
accessible through their name, and they should be. Is there an option that
needs to be turned "on" or "off"?

"tonys7340" wrote:

I have created a defined name for a cell b5 containing a phone # and named it
"Phone". When I want to access it by typing " =Phone" , I get a value error.
Of course when I type "=b5" I get the correct value ( the phone #). I have
this problem with all of the defined names that I have created in the
workbook. Any idea what the problem is?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't think there is any option like that...

Download http://wikisend.com/download/226490/Phone_Sample.xls
and see what is different from your worksheet.