Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copy and replace xlsm files, but retain the values in selected cells...

Hi all!

I've got a bit of a problem (duh! why else would I be posting here?
lol)

Anyways, I have created an extensive price list database and quotation
template along with a 47 page user manual and a profitability
estimation. All the files reside in their respective folders as part of
my 'Quotation System'. Every time I forward the updates of this
Quotation System to the end users via E-mail, I first create a normal
Winrar self-extracting archive.

As and when the end-users extract the rar file (.exe), all the files in
the destination folder are replaced (overridden) with the newer files
(upon them choosing "Yes to all". This acts as crude yet relatively
efficient updating method.

My problem is that I would like the values of certain cells to be
retained and not overridden by the newer updated files.

Please bear in mind that I will need to keep my workbook protected, as
well as the sheets as they currently are. Also, I would like not having
to resort to using a macro (activated by the end-user) to copy the
contents of one file to the other.

IS THERE A WAY TO DO THIS DURING THE PROCESS OF FILES BEING COPIED AND
REPLACED VIA THE SELF-EXTRACTING RAR ARCHIVE? OR DO I HAVE TO USE A
MACRO? IF NO OTHER OPTION EXISTS BUT USING A MACRO THEN A SKELETON MACRO
TEMPLATE OF WHICH I ONLY NEED TO FILL IN THE CELL REFERENCES WILL HELP
TREMENDOUSLY!

--
ARbitOUR
ARbitOUR's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=254

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ARbitOUR;321209 Wrote:
[...]

TREMENDOUSLY!Firstly, Welcome to The Code Cage!, during the extraction you are

replacing a file not the data so i suspect you cannot do it that way (i
know nothing of programming an exe etc.

So, you would be better off running a macro once on open then deleting
it, here's a workbook with Code supplied by Johnske some years ago which
works fine 97-2003, when you look at the workbook open the VBE and take
alook at the Thisworkbook module, also note there is a module called
RunOnceModule, once you un comment the last line in the thisworkbook
module this will be deleted!

|Filename: testbook.xls |
|Download: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/attachment.php?attachmentid=114|

Simon Lloyd