vishu

Default First name

I have list of Employee names in one column, it include first and second names.
I want to take only first name of all employees.
Is there any formula to take only first name.

regars
vishu

CLR

Besides it with a formula, you can do this with Data TextToColumns
Delimited Space Next and choosing not to import the second
column............

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"vishu" wrote in message
I have list of Employee names in one column, it include first and second

names.
I want to take only first name of all employees.
Is there any formula to take only first name.

regars
vishu

vishu

Hi Bob,

Why we need to give -1 in the formula.
What is the logic behind this?
And if name contains only one name, i am getting error i.e.,#VALUE!
thanks in advance and regards

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)

--

HTH

RP

"vishu" wrote in message
I have list of Employee names in one column, it include first and second

names.
I want to take only first name of all employees.
Is there any formula to take only first name.

regars
vishu

Bob Phillips

Vishu,

The -1 is to ignore the space.

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(" ",A1)),LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1),A1)

--

HTH

RP

"vishu" wrote in message
Hi Bob,

Why we need to give -1 in the formula.
What is the logic behind this?
And if name contains only one name, i am getting error i.e.,#VALUE!
thanks in advance and regards

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)

--