Default I WANT to truncate my leading zeros

I have a number of cells with 000000099999, and want to truncate the
leading zeros off. I have tried several different things with
formatting and can't figure it out, can someone help?

thanks

Gord Dibben

kimberly

Selec those cells and DataText to ColumnsNextNext. Format as General and
Finish.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On 19 Apr 2005 13:36:23 -0700, wrote:

I have a number of cells with 000000099999, and want to truncate the
leading zeros off. I have tried several different things with
formatting and can't figure it out, can someone help?

thanks

RagDyer

OR ... depending on the desired final format,

Select the cells, then just:

<Data <Text To Columns <Finish

RD

kimberly

Selec those cells and DataText to ColumnsNextNext. Format as General and
Finish.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On 19 Apr 2005 13:36:23 -0700, wrote:

I have a number of cells with 000000099999, and want to truncate the
leading zeros off. I have tried several different things with
formatting and can't figure it out, can someone help?

thanks

Gord Dibben

Good point RD.

A few less steps which is always preferred.

Gord

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:38:02 -0700, "RagDyer" wrote:

OR ... depending on the desired final format,

Select the cells, then just:

<Data <Text To Columns <Finish

That was it! Now, how weird though, when I tried to format them as a
column with general format, they didn't truncate, only the text to
columns thing made it work. Mystery.

Gord Dibben

Kimberly

Not a mystery.

Simply changing formatting will not change the underlying value.

The value of 00000999 was text.

You must force it to change value as T to C did.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP