Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old April 5th 09, 05:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 103
Default sort column by date but keeping all rows locked

Hi there. Can sort a column easily (by date, number, etc.) but can't keep the
corresponding rows in sync (locked) with original data item once sorted.
There must be an easy way to do this but I can't figure it out. Any advice?

  #2   Report Post  
Old April 5th 09, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,058
Default sort column by date but keeping all rows locked

Say the dates are in column A with other data in cols B thru G.

Select ALL columns A thru G and then sort by A. The other columns will
follow suit.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200843


"Josh" wrote:

Hi there. Can sort a column easily (by date, number, etc.) but can't keep the
corresponding rows in sync (locked) with original data item once sorted.
There must be an easy way to do this but I can't figure it out. Any advice?

  #3   Report Post  
Old April 5th 09, 07:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 103
Default sort column by date but keeping all rows locked

Thanks for the reply but doesn't keep all rows locked--is there some way to
lock all info in a row together?

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

Say the dates are in column A with other data in cols B thru G.

Select ALL columns A thru G and then sort by A. The other columns will
follow suit.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200843


"Josh" wrote:

Hi there. Can sort a column easily (by date, number, etc.) but can't keep the
corresponding rows in sync (locked) with original data item once sorted.
There must be an easy way to do this but I can't figure it out. Any advice?

  #4   Report Post  
Old April 5th 09, 08:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,204
Default sort column by date but keeping all rows locked

Not sure what you mean by keeping all rows locked. The method that Gary''s
Student provided should move all rows of information as rows that are
associated with each date with the date.

To repeat what he said: select all information you want to sort, from (as in
his example) from column A to column G, choose Data | Sort and identify
column A as the column to sort by.

Now, if for some reason you want to JUST sort the dates and leave everything
else where it is, then select just the column with the dates in it and choose
Data | Sort.

You'll get a Sort Warning that there is more data next to what you selected
and it asks if you want to Expand the Selection or Continue with the Current
Selection - pick the Continue with the Current Selection option and click the
[Sort...] button.

"Josh" wrote:

Thanks for the reply but doesn't keep all rows locked--is there some way to
lock all info in a row together?

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

Say the dates are in column A with other data in cols B thru G.

Select ALL columns A thru G and then sort by A. The other columns will
follow suit.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200843


"Josh" wrote:

Hi there. Can sort a column easily (by date, number, etc.) but can't keep the
corresponding rows in sync (locked) with original data item once sorted.
There must be an easy way to do this but I can't figure it out. Any advice?



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I sort rows keeping columns together? A123 Excel Worksheet Functions 2 June 20th 08 12:33 AM
keeping rows together during column sorts of linked worksheets judie Excel Worksheet Functions 1 April 1st 07 07:52 PM
How can I insert and delete rows within a locked cell range column Gordon Cole Excel Worksheet Functions 0 October 1st 06 11:30 AM
I locked up my column and rows they are highlighted Michael C. Marshall Excel Worksheet Functions 3 June 28th 06 10:18 PM
keeping rows intact during sort Jim Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 November 25th 05 01:59 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Excel"

 

Copyright © 2017