Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula to check two rows for equivalence

In Excel 2003, I have a sheet with multiple columns of various different data
types (numeric, date, text, etc.). Is there a simple formula that can check
whether one row is equivalent to the next (i.e., A1 = A2, B1 = B2, . . . , M1
= M2)?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Please expand your question a bit. I'm gathering that you want to be
notified somehow if the data types are not the same? How would you like to
be notified?

There's also a lot of different data types. What I think you need is
located within the "cell" function. Look that up in the Excel Help (F1) and
you'll see all the data types available. Do you simply need to know if two
types are the same, or what type it is?

- Eric

"Eric_NY" wrote:

In Excel 2003, I have a sheet with multiple columns of various different data
types (numeric, date, text, etc.). Is there a simple formula that can check
whether one row is equivalent to the next (i.e., A1 = A2, B1 = B2, . . . , M1
= M2)?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No, I wasn't clear. All the rows have the same data types.

What I want to do is simply to check the values, i.e., to check whether row
1 equals row 2 all the way across, etc.

(My point in mentioning data types was simply to make clear that this is not
a simple format where everything is numeric, or everything is text, etc.)

I'm basically looking for a formula which returns TRUE if the current row is
the same as the previous and FALSE if not.

Thanks.

"Eric_NY" wrote:

In Excel 2003, I have a sheet with multiple columns of various different data
types (numeric, date, text, etc.). Is there a simple formula that can check
whether one row is equivalent to the next (i.e., A1 = A2, B1 = B2, . . . , M1
= M2)?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For versions of Excel prior to XL2007, try this...

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(1:1=2:2))=256,"Equal","Not Equal")

For XL2007, try this...

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(1:1=2:2))=16384,"Equal","Not Equal")

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)