Lexicon

Default SUBTRACTING TIME VALUES INSTEAD OF DECIMAL!!

Please help! I have used the 00:\00:\00 format to input times without having
to press the colon every time. Now though, when Excel tries to minus one time
from another, because of the custom format it only recognizes times as
numbers...

e.g. 12:15:30 - 12:14:50

Excel thinks this equals 00:00:80!!

Can anybody help? How do I get it to recognise that the answer is 00:01:20 ?
Thank you

Lexicon

Brett - You just typed the numbers in wrong on your posting - that's probably
why it didn't work for you!

In formatting, in custom, type in 00:\00:\00 and this should enable you to
input for example 123245 and it will convert automatically to 12:32:45

Niki

"Lexicon" wrote:

Please help! I have used the 00:\00:\00 format to input times without having
to press the colon every time. Now though, when Excel tries to minus one time
from another, because of the custom format it only recognizes times as
numbers...

e.g. 12:15:30 - 12:14:50

Excel thinks this equals 00:00:80!!

Can anybody help? How do I get it to recognise that the answer is 00:01:20 ?
Thank you

Brett

Thanks! I had no idea it was this simple. I've been looking for this solution
for a long time, but the closest I got was some really complicated VBA code I
found on some Excel website a while ago. I never did bother with the VBA
code, but this is great. Thanks again!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

It should be 00\:00\:00

--

HTH

RP

"Lexicon" wrote:

Please help! I have used the 00:\00:\00 format to input times without

having
to press the colon every time. Now though, when Excel tries to minus one

time
from another, because of the custom format it only recognizes times as
numbers...

e.g. 12:15:30 - 12:14:50

Excel thinks this equals 00:00:80!!

Can anybody help? How do I get it to recognise that the answer is

00:01:20 ?
Thank you

Bob Phillips

Yeah, but the math on times now becomes much more complex as against

--

HTH

RP

"Brett" wrote in message
Thanks! I had no idea it was this simple. I've been looking for this

solution
for a long time, but the closest I got was some really complicated VBA

code I
found on some Excel website a while ago. I never did bother with the VBA
code, but this is great. Thanks again!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

It should be 00\:00\:00

--

HTH

RP

"Lexicon" wrote:

Please help! I have used the 00:\00:\00 format to input times

without
having
to press the colon every time. Now though, when Excel tries to minus

one
time
from another, because of the custom format it only recognizes times

as
numbers...

e.g. 12:15:30 - 12:14:50

Excel thinks this equals 00:00:80!!

Can anybody help? How do I get it to recognise that the answer is

00:01:20 ?
Thank you

Brett

How about:

=TIME(($B1-MOD($B1,10000))/10000,(MOD($B1,10000)-MOD($B1,100))/100,MOD($B1,100))-TIME(($A1-MOD($A1,10000))/10000,(MOD($A1,10000)-MOD($A1,100))/100,MOD($A1,100))

OR

=TIME(MID(TEXT($B1,"000000"),1,2),MID(TEXT($B1,"00 0000"),3,2),MID(TEXT($B1,"000000"),5,2))-TIME(MID(TEXT($A1,"000000"),1,2),MID(TEXT($A1,"000 000"),3,2),MID(TEXT($A1,"000000"),5,2))