Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Comparing times in two tables

I have two event logs which I am trying to compare. How can I establish if
an event in one log occurred around the same point in time of any event in
the other log, bearing in mind that the times of the events in each log may
not be exactly coincident, but might be 5 or 10 minutes apart. Id only need
to return one comparison value to indicate the corresponding time frames in
the two logs, but still Im really stumped. Any help would be much
appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=ABS(A2-B2)TIME(0,10,0)
returns True if time difference is greater than 10 minutes. Adjust cell
references to your real layout!

Regards,
Stefi

€˛Hugh€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

I have two event logs which I am trying to compare. How can I establish if
an event in one log occurred around the same point in time of any event in
the other log, bearing in mind that the times of the events in each log may
not be exactly coincident, but might be 5 or 10 minutes apart. Id only need
to return one comparison value to indicate the corresponding time frames in
the two logs, but still Im really stumped. Any help would be much
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Suppose you have the times stored in Col A and Col B

=IF(B:B-A:AMINUTE(10),"close",IF(B:B-A:A<MINUTE(10),"close",""))

--
If this post helps click Yes
---------------

"Hugh" wrote:

I have two event logs which I am trying to compare. How can I establish if
an event in one log occurred around the same point in time of any event in
the other log, bearing in mind that the times of the events in each log may
not be exactly coincident, but might be 5 or 10 minutes apart. Id only need
to return one comparison value to indicate the corresponding time frames in
the two logs, but still Im really stumped. Any help would be much
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Stefi,
Thanks for your help but thats not quite it. Ive tried your suggestion in
combination with my previous attempts but without success. Ill try and
better explain what I need.
Column A contains IDs for Log1, B contains times of events for Log1, C
contains IDs for Log2, D contains times of events for Log2.
I need to establish if the time in B2, for instance, occurs within 10
minutes of ANY event in D:D, and then supply a cell reference, or similar.
Ive been trying to use MATCH, which, if the times of occurrence in the two
tables were exact, would work fine (I could then use the number returned with
OFFSET), but I cant factor in the time variance between the tow lists. Can
you help?
Thanks,
Hugh

"Stefi" wrote:

=ABS(A2-B2)TIME(0,10,0)
returns True if time difference is greater than 10 minutes. Adjust cell
references to your real layout!

Regards,
Stefi

€˛Hugh€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

I have two event logs which I am trying to compare. How can I establish if
an event in one log occurred around the same point in time of any event in
the other log, bearing in mind that the times of the events in each log may
not be exactly coincident, but might be 5 or 10 minutes apart. Id only need
to return one comparison value to indicate the corresponding time frames in
the two logs, but still Im really stumped. Any help would be much
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jacob,
Thanks for your efforts but thats not quite what I want. Please see my
response to Stefi, above. I hope you can help.
Regards,
Hugh

"Hugh" wrote:

I have two event logs which I am trying to compare. How can I establish if
an event in one log occurred around the same point in time of any event in
the other log, bearing in mind that the times of the events in each log may
not be exactly coincident, but might be 5 or 10 minutes apart. Id only need
to return one comparison value to indicate the corresponding time frames in
the two logs, but still Im really stumped. Any help would be much
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perhaps you can explain us what you are trying to do there, Jacob, as
MINUTE(10) will return zero. Perhaps you need to look at Excel help for the
MINUTE function to remind yourself what it does.
--
David Biddulph

"Hugh" wrote:

I have two event logs which I am trying to compare. How can I establish
if
an event in one log occurred around the same point in time of any event
in
the other log, bearing in mind that the times of the events in each log
may
not be exactly coincident, but might be 5 or 10 minutes apart. I'd only
need
to return one comparison value to indicate the corresponding time frames
in
the two logs, but still I'm really stumped. Any help would be much
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, an exact question has a chance to receive an exact answer!
What about this one:
=MATCH(1,--(ABS($B$2-D2:D5)<TIME(0,10,0)),0)
It's an array formula, confirm with Ctrl+Shift+Enter!
It returns position of the first time in D2:D5 within 10 minutes of time in
B2. If you want row No of the hit, add 1 to the result (because I supposed a
header in row 1.

Stefi

€˛Hugh€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

"Stefi" wrote:

=ABS(A2-B2)TIME(0,10,0)
returns True if time difference is greater than 10 minutes. Adjust cell
references to your real layout!

Regards,
Stefi

€˛Hugh€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

I have two event logs which I am trying to compare. How can I establish if
an event in one log occurred around the same point in time of any event in
the other log, bearing in mind that the times of the events in each log may
not be exactly coincident, but might be 5 or 10 minutes apart. Id only need
to return one comparison value to indicate the corresponding time frames in
the two logs, but still Im really stumped. Any help would be much
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry.. That was my mistake....
--