Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Opens in Text Mode

When opening an xls file, it appeared as a text file with non-readable
characters. I did not save the file in this format. Is there a way to
recover it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is the file an XLS file or some other extension like CSV. If it is an XLS
file you can try the office recovery tool Depending on the version of excel
installed you can get to it in the START button

Start - Programs - Microsoft Office - from here it may vary.

Try Tools - Microsoft Office Application Revoery