Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Need formula help

Hi

I have a ss that I need help with. Col H is a hard input. The formula for
column J is what I need. The deciding factor is an accumulation of $50.00 or
more in Col H, at which time it would show that amount in Col J and start
over from that point until it accumulates another $50 or more. I hope this
makes sense.
Col H Col J
-.71
4.19
23.55
24.60 51.63
5.00
90.00 95.00

Thanks for your help...
--
smither fan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Since you show your data starting in Row 1, put this formula in J1...

=IF(H1=50,H1,"")

then put this formula in J2 and copy it down...

=IF(SUM($H$1:H2)-SUM($J$1:J1)=50,SUM($H$1:H2)-SUM($J$1:J1),"")

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Ross" wrote in message
Hi

I have a ss that I need help with. Col H is a hard input. The formula
for
column J is what I need. The deciding factor is an accumulation of $50.00
or
more in Col H, at which time it would show that amount in Col J and start
over from that point until it accumulates another $50 or more. I hope
this
makes sense.
Col H Col J
-.71
4.19
23.55
24.60 51.63
5.00
90.00 95.00

Thanks for your help...
--
smither fan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Rick-Thanks for responding so quickly. My data actually begins in H10, so
I updated the formula accordingly. It worked until the figure after the
first input in J. At that point, it started adding the amounts and inputting
them in J instead of starting over. I'm wondering if I did something wrong
when I updated the formulas maybe?? Here are the formulas I used in the J
column:
=If(H10=50,H10,"")
=If(SUM($H$10:H11)-SUM($J$10:J10)=50,SUM($H$10:H11)-SUM($J$10:J10,"")

--
smither fan

"Ross" wrote in message
Hi

I have a ss that I need help with. Col H is a hard input. The formula
for
column J is what I need. The deciding factor is an accumulation of $50.00
or
more in Col H, at which time it would show that amount in Col J and start
over from that point until it accumulates another $50 or more. I hope
this
makes sense.
Col H Col J
-.71
4.19
23.55
24.60 51.63
5.00
90.00 95.00

Thanks for your help...
--
smither fan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The formula you posted is missing a closing ) after the last SUM function.

However, the missing ) won't cause what you describe. When adding the
needed ) the formula works correctly.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Ross" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You had a minor syntax error in your 2nd formula (you left out a closing
parenthesis on the last SUM function); but, other than that, I think your
formula is correct. Try doing it again and just copy/paste these into J10
and J11...

=IF(H10=50,H10,"")
=IF(SUM($H$10:H11)-SUM($J$10:J10)=50,SUM($H$10:H11)-SUM($J$10:J10),"")

As far as I can tell, the above two functions should work (at least they
seem to work on my system). If they don't work for you, can you post the
actual data you have which makes them fail so that I can test them out here
on my system? Oh, and when you ask questions in the future, do not simplify
them for us... post them using your actual conditions... as you should now
see, solutions can be very dependent on these actual conditions.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Ross" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi
You're right! I did forget it. My system doesn't allow me to do a
copy/paste from Excel into this window (which is strange since I was able to
do the copy/paste from here into my spreadsheet) so I had to manually type it
and I missed that.

Thanks
smither fan

"Ross" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Rick

You're right, of course. The circumstances do make a difference. Also, the
closing parenthesis problem came about because nothing happens when I try to
do a copy/paste from my spreadsheet into this window. I had to do a manual
and I messed it up.

As I am able to copy/paste from this window into a ss, I tried your solution
again this morning. I got the same error, so I tried it again into a new
workbook, and it worked great! Obviously, a problem somewhere in the
original spreadsheet.

Thanks again. This is a solution for several spreadsheets I keep.
--
smither fan