Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KM KM is offline

Default Workbook save options

Hi,

I've got a workbook saved on the network folder . I'd like people to be able
to make changes in this file and save the changes as well. However , what I'd
like to do, is prevent a user from saving their copy over this orginal copy .
So basically they can only make changes in the original file, but cannot
overwrite the original file with one of their workbooks . Is this possible ?
Thanks for any help .
Rgds
KM
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi KM,

Find your file on the server.
RightClick its icon, then select Properties.
On the General tab tick Read Only
Click ok

Regards - Dave.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KM KM is offline

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your answer. Sorry, couldn't reply earlier. Making it a
"read-only" was my initial thought process , but wouldn't that stop people
from making changes within the file as well ? I'd still like them to make
changes within this file, just not be able to save one of their files with
the same file name as my report . Sorry, if that doesn't sound very clear .
KM

"Dave" wrote:

Hi KM,

Find your file on the server.
RightClick its icon, then select Properties.
On the General tab tick Read Only
Click ok

Regards - Dave.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi KM,
Sorry, don't have a solution for that - except back-up regularly, and
perhaps call your file by a name that no one else is likely to use. Perhaps
qwerty12345.xls or similar.
Regards - Dave
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KM KM is offline

Hi Dave,

Look, thanks anyway your help . I guess I'll just have to trust the people
using the file not to muck around with it...:)

Rgds
KM