Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do you print 1 record at a time per page?

I need to create an excel file that links to another excel file for the
information. The 1st file will be like a template that needs to print 1
record at a time, pulling that info from the 2nd excel file that will have
all the info. Do you know how to set this up? All I can seem to figure out
is how to make the data connection but dont see how to put the data in the
darn document!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Greg
I would use VBA and loop through all the data in the information
workbook, for each loop place the data in the "Template", print the
Template, and repeat this for each record. Does this sound like what you
want? If so, post details about the layout of everything and what goes
where and what range do you want printed? HTH Otto
"Greg" wrote in message
I need to create an excel file that links to another excel file for the
information. The 1st file will be like a template that needs to print 1
record at a time, pulling that info from the 2nd excel file that will have
all the info. Do you know how to set this up? All I can seem to figure
out
is how to make the data connection but dont see how to put the data in the
darn document!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hmm, not sure what VBA is. What Im trying to do is I have an Excel list of
house listings and information and want to set up a template where it will
print out the information on each house one sheet at a time. Each sheet will
be about 1 particular house. I feel like this is possible to do but cant
figure out how to go about it.

"Greg" wrote in message
I need to create an excel file that links to another excel file for the
information. The 1st file will be like a template that needs to print 1
record at a time, pulling that info from the 2nd excel file that will have
all the info. Do you know how to set this up? All I can seem to figure
out
is how to make the data connection but dont see how to put the data in the
darn document!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First, you'll want to learn about macros:

Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to implement macros he
http://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html

David McRitchie has an intro to macros:

Ron de Bruin's intro to macros:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/code.htm

(General, Regular and Standard modules all describe the same thing.)

Then you may want to use this kind of macro from Debra Dalgleish's site:
http://contextures.com/xlForm03.html

There are some sample workbooks that you can download on that page, too.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Greg
VBA is programming. From what you describe, VBA is the optimum solution
for you. You would click on a button and your printer would simply print
out sheets of paper with one record (house listing) on each sheet. I can
set this up for you but, as I said before, you would need to provide
information regarding the layout (what is where?) of the information sheet
and the template sheet. Also tell me if you want to print out only some of
the records in the information sheet or all of them. If just some, which
ones? HTH Otto

"Greg" wrote in message
I need to create an excel file that links to another excel file for the
information. The 1st file will be like a template that needs to print
1
record at a time, pulling that info from the 2nd excel file that will
have
all the info. Do you know how to set this up? All I can seem to
figure
out
is how to make the data connection but dont see how to put the data in
the
darn document!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're goal is to be able to bring one record into a template to view and
print as a report without printing all of the records, you could try
something like the VLOOKUP function. (There are serveral lookup formulas.
You may need to experiment to find the best one) This would not require VBA
or macros.
If your list is set up as a database perhaps you're using a listing number
as the first column, you could use that column as the lookup reference in
the template formula. You can then format your report however you wish.
Check out the Excel help files on lookup and reference formulas.
Regards.