Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Windows Explorer hangs then crashes.

I have Windows Vista Home Basic and Office 2007 installed. I backup some
Excel files on a CD-RW. When I load the CD, Explorer seems unable to read it
and, when I refresh, it stops responding. Eventually, after many minutes,
Explorer displays the files. Anyone able to help, please?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

di you have another operating system on the PC before you installed Vista. I
think the best think is to remove the CD driver from the PC. Then restart
the computer and let Vista reinstalled the driver and get the lastest driver
from the web. I'm not sur eif it is better to use the standard Vista driver
or get the driver from the manufacturers website. some times the microsoft
driver works better and some times the manufacturese driver works better.

Maybe it is better to go to windows update (microsoft.com) first and try
installing all the updates.

"DougJD" wrote:

I have Windows Vista Home Basic and Office 2007 installed. I backup some
Excel files on a CD-RW. When I load the CD, Explorer seems unable to read it
and, when I refresh, it stops responding. Eventually, after many minutes,
Explorer displays the files. Anyone able to help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for this. I previously had Windows XP and Office 97with no problems.
With Vista, the CD drive works fine with everything except Excel 2007 and it
has the best driver available, according to the Drivers section on the
Windows Control Panel. So I think it is either Vista or Excel 2007 (or both)
causing my difficulty. My Microsoft important updates are downloaded daily,
so they should be OK.

"DougJD" wrote:

I have Windows Vista Home Basic and Office 2007 installed. I backup some
Excel files on a CD-RW. When I load the CD, Explorer seems unable to read it
and, when I refresh, it stops responding. Eventually, after many minutes,
Explorer displays the files. Anyone able to help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is nothing different about an excel file from other files with respect
to writing or reading from a drive. I'm thinking it has to do with the size
of the file. Excel files tend to be larger than other type files. Vista
uses a lot of memory and the recommendations are to install more memory when
converting from XP to Vista. I would open you task mamager and watch the
memory tab while writing the file to CD and see if you are using all the
available memory.