Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can I install 2003 if I have 2007?

I am having problems running certain programs made in 2003. They are not
saving properly. I have tried 'save as' 2003, tried saving as a macro
workbook, and have tried saving anyway and continuing. But they never save
correctly. If I could open them in 2003, I think it would work. I have 2007
installed and have a disk for 2003, but I am afraid to install 2003 incase it
messes up the registry or corrupts any current files I have.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Mary,
I did it this way and had total success. Be aware that Outlook will always
"default" to the last version of Office you install.

Multiple versions of Office can happily co-exist in the same OS instance if
you observe the following rules:
1) Install 2003 first. At the Installation oprions, change the Program Files
Folder name from Microsoft Office to Microsoft Office 2003.
2) Then install 2007 and you can use it's default folder structure.

You probably can install both to the same Microsoft Office folder as within
that folder, i the versions are saved as Office11 and Office12 but I prefer
to do it seperately.

Usually Office (and I use Excel mostly so I'll focus on that) stores addins,
personal.xls stuff in a common folder in you Profile in documents and
settings. However, you can easily seperate the versions by looking in the
Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Excel\xlstart structure to store
individual application addins, templates etc. Excel "looks" here first
before it goes to the common profile.

HTH

Regards,
Bony

"Mary" wrote:

I am having problems running certain programs made in 2003. They are not
saving properly. I have tried 'save as' 2003, tried saving as a macro
workbook, and have tried saving anyway and continuing. But they never save
correctly. If I could open them in 2003, I think it would work. I have 2007
installed and have a disk for 2003, but I am afraid to install 2003 incase it
messes up the registry or corrupts any current files I have.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I agree that it's generally best to install 2003 first then follow up with
the 2007 installation. Remember that only one version of Outlook is
permitted on the system. So you could uninstall all of 2007 except Outlook,
then install 2003 (except for Outlook) and finally reinstall 2007.

Another option would be to get Virtual PC and set up a virtual machine on
your computer to install and run Office 2003 from. Virtual PC 2007 if
available at:

You can read more about VPC 2007 he
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

You will need a licensed copy of an operating system (Windows or Vista) to
set up as the operating system on that virtual machine.