CLR

Default Different Processors with Excel...

Hi All..........

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the advantages or disadvantages
of the different processors today, (Celeron, Centrino, P4, AMD, etc etc),
when being used with Excel. Particularly when using multi sessions of Excel
with complex workbooks.

TIA for any comments.........
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

Alan

I've used Pentium P1 to P4 and various Celeron processors in XL and I
haven't really noticed much difference in performance or speed of
calculations, even with array formulas which can be slow. I don't think XL
requires that much processor power, I may be wrong,
Regards,
"CLR" wrote in message
Hi All..........

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the advantages or
disadvantages
of the different processors today, (Celeron, Centrino, P4, AMD, etc etc),
when being used with Excel. Particularly when using multi sessions of
Excel
with complex workbooks.

TIA for any comments.........
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

Ron_D

CLR,

You'll start noticing performance differences in performance when you work
with LARGE numbers of data and formulas. The performance gains of TYPICALLY
sized workbooks aren't very noticeable from one generation CPU to the next,
assuming RAM size is identicle. Although, my rule of thumb: the faster the
clockspeed and the larger the RAM size, the more you can number crunch.
Also, with multi-core processors, 64-bit chips, and incorporation of new RAM
types (ie DDR2s), my mouth drools with anticipation....hehe.

Ron

"CLR" wrote:

Hi All..........

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the advantages or disadvantages
of the different processors today, (Celeron, Centrino, P4, AMD, etc etc),
when being used with Excel. Particularly when using multi sessions of Excel
with complex workbooks.

TIA for any comments.........
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

CLR

Thanks for the comeback Alan...........I'm particularly interested that you
mentioned Celeron, as I am considering buying one to take to this one site
where the Client does not provide decent equipment. A laptop is just too
expensive, but I can get a dual-monitor 2GB Celeron machine fairly
reasonable. I was just wondering if anyone has had bad (or hopefully good)
experiences with one. Glad to hear yours was good.

Thanks again,
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"CLR" wrote in message
Hi All..........

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the advantages or
disadvantages
of the different processors today, (Celeron, Centrino, P4, AMD, etc

etc),
when being used with Excel. Particularly when using multi sessions of
Excel
with complex workbooks.

TIA for any comments.........
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)

CLR wrote:
Thanks for the comeback Alan...........I'm particularly interested that you
mentioned Celeron, as I am considering buying one to take to this one site
where the Client does not provide decent equipment. A laptop is just too
expensive, but I can get a dual-monitor 2GB Celeron machine fairly
reasonable. I was just wondering if anyone has had bad (or hopefully good)
experiences with one. Glad to hear yours was good.

My machine is a 3 year old Dell 1.7GHz Celeron with multiple monitors
that I paid $299 for new. Works fine. I do have 768MB RAM, but
otherwise it's a pretty basic PC. I've never been able to see any
difference between it and a Pentium for "normal" software. I've read
that the Pentium will be faster for some video games and video editing,
but I've never had occasion to try either one.

Good luck...

Bill

Amedee Van Gasse

CLR shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.misc:

"CLR" wrote in message
Hi All..........

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the advantages or
disadvantages
of the different processors today, (Celeron, Centrino, P4, AMD,
etc

etc),
when being used with Excel. Particularly when using multi
sessions of Excel
with complex workbooks.

TIA for any comments.........
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

I would be *really* interested in a 64 bit version of Excel that is
truly 64 bit optimi(s|z)ed and takes advantages of the 64 bit features
of an AMD64 or IA64 processor.
Unfortunately I fear this would imply a major rewrite...

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?