Old April 16th 05, 01:44 PM
Alexa

Default Count how many times the same word appears in column

Hello,

I have a long list of about 50,000 words in column A. Some of these
words are the same.

I want to know the exact number of times each word appears in the A
column.

And I want to sort these words based on how many times they appear in
the A column.

How can I do that?

Alexa

Old April 16th 05, 02:03 PM
ΊΌΦέΘΛ

=countif(A:A,B1),if B1= you word

Old April 16th 05, 02:06 PM
Bob Phillips

In B1, add =COUNTIF($A:$A,A1)
Copy down

Then sort by column B

--

HTH

RP

om...

Old April 16th 05, 02:23 PM
[email protected]

Hi Bob,

Excel displays an error when I type in the formula. What should I do?

Alexa

Old April 16th 05, 03:48 PM
RagDyeR

What's the error?

RD

oups.com...

Old April 16th 05, 03:59 PM
Bob Phillips

Hi Alexa,

The formula works okay for me.

Give us some details of the way you added it, the error and your data.

--

HTH

RP