Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Changing all caps to proper

I've "inherited" a spreadsheet that I will use for a bulk mail merge. It is
in all capital letters. I'd like to change it so that it is not all caps. I
found the auto correct function for use while typing, however, I haven't
found a way to correct after-the-fact.

Jo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not sure if I understand correctly
Try this

=PROPER(A2)

this will Microsoft if you have MICROSOFT
change the cell reference to yours
--
Hope this is helpful

Pls click the Yes button below if this post provide answer you have asked

Thank You

cheers, francis

"Jo4321" wrote:

I've "inherited" a spreadsheet that I will use for a bulk mail merge. It is
in all capital letters. I'd like to change it so that it is not all caps. I
found the auto correct function for use while typing, however, I haven't
found a way to correct after-the-fact.

Jo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the cells you want to change and run this little macro:

Sub properr()
For Each r In Selection
r.Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.Proper(r.Value)
Next

Gary''s Student - gsnu200836

"Jo4321" wrote:

I've "inherited" a spreadsheet that I will use for a bulk mail merge. It is
in all capital letters. I'd like to change it so that it is not all caps. I
found the auto correct function for use while typing, however, I haven't
found a way to correct after-the-fact.

Jo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Suppose the cells are A1:A10

In B1 enter the formula

=PROPER(A1)

Copy it down. Convert the column B formulas to values and replace the
original data.

There are free add-ins on the internet to do this to a selection via a
macro. Take a look at this site

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ChangingCase.aspx

Or very simple version:

Sub ChangeCase()
Dim cell As Range
For Each cell In Selection
cell.Value = WorksheetFunction.Proper(cell)
Next cell

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Jo4321" wrote:

I've "inherited" a spreadsheet that I will use for a bulk mail merge. It is
in all capital letters. I'd like to change it so that it is not all caps. I
found the auto correct function for use while typing, however, I haven't
found a way to correct after-the-fact.

Jo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks everyone. I actually had found that "PROPER" earlier, but didn't
realize I'd have to make a "dummy" column to use to make it work.

Took care of it nicely.

Thanks!

Jo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Be careful with this macro.

If any cells in the selection contain formulas they will be wiped out and
converted to values only.

Gord

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 08:02:02 -0800, Gary''s Student
wrote:

Select the cells you want to change and run this little macro:

Sub properr()
For Each r In Selection
r.Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.Proper(r.Value)
Next

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Be careful with this macro.

If any cells in the selection contain formulas they will be wiped out and
converted to values only.

Gord

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 08:04:01 -0800, Shane Devenshire
wrote:

Hi,

Suppose the cells are A1:A10

In B1 enter the formula

=PROPER(A1)

Copy it down. Convert the column B formulas to values and replace the
original data.

There are free add-ins on the internet to do this to a selection via a
macro. Take a look at this site

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ChangingCase.aspx

Or very simple version:

Sub ChangeCase()
Dim cell As Range
For Each cell In Selection
cell.Value = WorksheetFunction.Proper(cell)
Next cell

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Run this macro.

Sub Proper()
Dim Cell As Range
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For Each Cell In Selection
Cell.Formula = Application.Proper(Cell.Formula)
Next
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP