Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AJ AJ is offline

Default unlocking a row

Is it possible to lock a worksheet then only allow one row at a time to be
unlocked for editing? If so, how?

Thanks so much!

--
AJ
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

??
Unlock the row you want to allow editing, the protect the sheet......
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi AJ

This one approach that might work for you, which uses worksheet event code.
In this example the user would be limited to only entering data one cell
below the last entry made in columns C through J.
The range can be altered to suit.
The cells themselves do not need to be protected.

Dim lr As Long
' this will limit entry in columns C through J
' Amend to suit
If Target.Column < 3 Then Exit Sub ' C
If Target.Column 10 Then Exit Sub 'J
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, Target.Column).End(xlUp).Row + 1
ScrollArea = Cells(lr, Target.Column)
Cells(lr, Target.Column).Activate
End Sub

Copy the Code above
Right click Sheet tab View Code
Paste code into white pane that appears
Alt+F11 to return to Excel

This is event code which will be triggered automatically.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"AJ" wrote in message
Is it possible to lock a worksheet then only allow one row at a time to be
unlocked for editing? If so, how?

Thanks so much!

--
AJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AJ AJ is offline

Thanks, this isn't really what I need though.

I'll try to explain more. I have a worksheet that each row is product
specifications. That worksheet is populating several other sheets via the
lookup function.

On this worksheet with the specifications I need to have it secured so that
I know a person making changes can not accidentally select a cell in the
wrong row and change. There are around 400 rows on this sheet, the end
result is someone has to change the information and check then a second
person must check. If the entire sheet is "unlocked" during editing then
technically all 400 have to be rechecked to ensure nothing at all changed.
I'm trying to "mis-take" proof the sheet so we are only checking the rows
that we know changed. I can take care of that part, I'm just stuck on how
to only "activate" one row at a time and how to "tell" Excel which row I need
to have activated. Hopefully this describes my issue better. Again, Thanks
for the help and any future help is greatly appreciated.
--
AJ