Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Line Up Two Columns In Excel

I have two databases that I am trying to merge into a single excel worksheet.
The first column in each database is a unique ID number associated with the
data in a single row. I need to line up the unique ID columns (one from each
database) in order to merge the data. The problem is that the two databases
do not have the same number of entries. For example,

UniqueID1 UniqueID2
1 1
2 3
3 4
4 5

and I would like to sort or line up the columns so that it looks like this

UniqueID1 UniqueID2
1 1
2
3 3
4 4
5

and leave blanks where they do not match up. Is this possible to do easily
in Excel?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dlw dlw is offline

That is possible using the VLOOKUP function. Look it up in the help screens.
When you become familiar with it, it is a very powerful tool.

"Jennifer Stevenson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't think VLOOKUP function will work in this case because there are more
than two columns in the database. I tried giving a simplified version of what
I am trying to do. I have two groups of columns and I need to line up the
groups of columns.

So,

UniqueID1 A B C D UniqueID2 E F G H might be the columns I have. A-D are
associated with UniqueID1 and E-H are associated with Unique ID2. I want to
arrange the rows so that the UniqueID1 and UniqueID2 line up. But, as I
mentioned before, I have unequal rows in UniqueID1 and UniqueID2.

Thanks!