Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default problem copying formulas

Help - I am a little flummoxed because I use Excel a lot and this is the
first time this has happened. When I try to copy a small worksheet with
formulas from one one spreadsheet to another, the formulas are converted to
values (as if I used "paste special" and checked values.) This now occurs
whether I try to copy with a sheet, to another sheet in the same file or
another file. It occurs whether I just select the work I did or click on the
upper left hand corner and select the whole sheet. The only solution that
works partially is to use "Paste Special" and check "formulas", but that
still does not preserve any of the other formatting (column width etc...)
Have I hit a switch somewhere, and how do I switch it back? I really
appreciate any help I can get with this.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello Dan,

First the workaround... after pasting FORMULAS choose PASTE SPECIAL again
and choose FORMATS to copy the format too.

Now to the real problem...

How about Copy and Paste in the same WORKSHEET? Does that work?
Does this happens with a particular workbook or even with new ones you create?

It usually happens when two workbooks are open in different instances of
Excel. Since you are able to use PASTE SPECIAL and having problems in the
same workbook then that can not be the reason.

Which version of Excel are you using? It should not matter though - I did
not find any setting in Excel 2007 which will change the behaviour to what
you are experiencing.

Hope someone else is able to help you out.