Davko

Default excel assignment

I have an excel assignment for a class and in the instructions it says, Only
in the input section will numbers show in the cell listing (formula display);
every other cell will contain a formula. Can someone explain this to me in
simple terms because i am new to the program and do not understand it. Thanks

Harald Staff

Must admit it doesn't make perfect sense to me either. But let's give it a
try. Excel works like this:

A cell can contain either a constant (a number, a date, a text) or a
formula.
In a blank sheet, enter a number in cell A1. In cell B1 enter
=A1

You will now see the same number in both cells. Click cell A1 and you see
the number in the formula bar above the sheet (if you don'št have it, choose
it in the Viev menu). Click cell B1 and you see the formula in the formula
bar, not the number. This formula says "pull to me whatever A1 contains at
any time" so that's why they appear identical.

Now go menu Tools Options , View pane and select "Formula". Now B1
displays not the cell result, but its real content, the formula. This may be
what "formula display" is about.

If so: "Formula display" is rarely used in daily life, most for auditing if
so. The basic thing here is to know that a cell contains either a constant
or a formula, never both. Type a number i B1 and the formula goes.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Davko" skrev i melding