Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dan dan is offline

Default Default Program

I have Office 2007. I am unable to open or XLS files with microsoft Excel
unless I open Excel and then use the menu to open the file from within Excel.
If I simply click on the file or download and open the file from online the
computer does not respond. I have tried to associate Excel as the default
program for XLS files but it does not work. I have two programs in my Office
12 folder - Excel and excelcnv. There is nothing in my Office 10 folder.
Currently excelcnv is the default set up, but since it does not work i tried
to change it to Excel. I go through the change default program steps but it
does not respond when i open the Excel program. Any suggestions? Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Feb 10, 5:14*pm, Dan wrote:
I have Office 2007. *I am unable to open or XLS files with microsoft Excel
unless I open Excel and then use the menu to open the file from within Excel.
*If I simply click on the file or download and open the file from online the
computer does not respond. *I have tried to associate Excel as the default
program for XLS files but it does not work. *I have two programs in my Office
12 folder - Excel and excelcnv. *There is nothing in my Office 10 folder. *
Currently excelcnv is the default set up, but since it does not work i tried
to change it to Excel. *I go through the change default program steps but it
does not respond when i open the Excel program. *Any suggestions? *Thanks

Maybe Try this, although I don't know where the tools menu is located
in xl'07 as I do not use it.

On the Tools menu, click Options. Click the General tab. Clear the
Ignore Other Applications checkbox, and click OK.

Another way would be to find an exel file in windows explorer, right
click on it and select open with.....choose program....select excel
application and then check the box that reads
"always open the selected program to open this kind of file"