Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default using office97 to read xlsx and docx files

I have office97 on my computers and have one person that is sending xlsx and
docx files, How can I open them. Office 97 works for everyone else I am
sending or receiving files from
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You will need the Compatibility pack to open 2007 files on 97 unless the
2007 file was saved as 97-2003 version.

Or you could ask the person to save first in 97-2003 version.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 08:02:02 -0800, Steve C <Steve
wrote:

I have office97 on my computers and have one person that is sending xlsx and
docx files, How can I open them. Office 97 works for everyone else I am
sending or receiving files from

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

MS gives a free compatibility program, but you need xl2002 (at least) to use it.

I'd ask the sender to save the file in the older version (*.xls) and send that
one.

====
If you're not changing anything, maybe you can use the viewer:

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I repeat Microsoft's solution:
For backward compatibility and collaboration with earlier versions of
Microsoft Office Excel, you can use one of two ways to open Microsoft Office
Excel 2007 workbooks in an earlier version of Excel. You can either use the
earlier binary file format (.xls) or the new XML-based file format (.xlsx) to
exchange workbooks between different versions of Excel.

To ensure that a workbook that you save in Office Excel 2007 can be opened
in an earlier version of Excel, you can save a copy that is fully compatible
with Excel 97-2003 (.xls) in Excel 2007.
Users who use an earlier version of Excel can also download the Microsoft
Office Compatibility Pack for 2007 Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint File
Formats to install updates and converters for the earlier version of Excel.
This allows them to open, edit, and save an Excel 2007 workbook in the
earlier version of Excel, without having to save it to that version's file
format first or without having to upgrade the earlier version of Excel to
Excel 2007.

See:

"Steve C" wrote:

I have office97 on my computers and have one person that is sending xlsx and
docx files, How can I open them. Office 97 works for everyone else I am
sending or receiving files from

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
so long as you are dealing with .xlsx file extention, you have a problem.
xl97 is not forward compatible and will not recognize the new file extention.
but you can get a viewer from microsoft. see this site.
http://www.rondebruin.nl/2007filesin2003.htm

regards
FSt1