Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Auto Numbering a merged Cells Excel 2003

I have a spreadsheet that I need to number a column but the column is made up
of different sized merged cells. When I try to drag the numbering it tries to
resize the merge cells as well.

Can anyone suggest a better way to number the merged cells without having to
manually type the number?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
TGV TGV is offline

Try this formula in A2 Cell

=CELL("row",A2)

If u paste this formula in a2 cell then it will result you 2, like this it
will give results to remaining cells.

If you want to show the a2 cell result as 1 then change the formula that is
=CELL("row",A1) then it will return the value as 1. after doing this just
copy it and right click your mouse and go to PAST SPECIAL then select FORMULA
and fill it for the remaining cells. Apply the same to merged cells also
then you will get the results and the merged cell will not be affected.

Whether it is useful for u?

TGV

"Ommm" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that I need to number a column but the column is made up
of different sized merged cells. When I try to drag the numbering it tries to
resize the merge cells as well.

Can anyone suggest a better way to number the merged cells without having to
manually type the number?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

As far as I know auto numbering will not work in merged cells.
--
R. Khoshravan
Please click "Yes" if it is helpful.

"Ommm" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that I need to number a column but the column is made up
of different sized merged cells. When I try to drag the numbering it tries to
resize the merge cells as well.

Can anyone suggest a better way to number the merged cells without having to
manually type the number?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

merged cells must be same size.
I used your formula for merged cells with different size and it didn't work.
It gives following error message:
This operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized.

Applying for same sized cells give results but numbers are not sequential.
They appear as 2,4,6 if I merge 2 cells and 2,5,8 if I merge 3 cells.
--

"Ommm" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that I need to number a column but the column is made up
of different sized merged cells. When I try to drag the numbering it tries to
resize the merge cells as well.

Can anyone suggest a better way to number the merged cells without having to
manually type the number?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Back to my previous post, if the merged cells are identical sized, you can
drag and get the result and there is no need for writing a formula.
The point is that to solve this issue for un-identical merged cells.
--

"Ommm" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that I need to number a column but the column is made up
of different sized merged cells. When I try to drag the numbering it tries to
resize the merge cells as well.

Can anyone suggest a better way to number the merged cells without having to
manually type the number?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello

Thank you for your quick reply.

I have tried your suggestion however I cannot get it to fill into the
different sized merged cells of the column.

Can you let me know how you managed to do this?

Also the issue is that I need to remove some rows of data and want it to
recalculate the numbers automatically.

Thanks