Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default simple addition

I want to total columns on a sheet.
I have the following sheet: (a1,a2 etc line numbers, 2 columns A & B)

__A__ __B____
a1 GASOLINE
a2 gals cost
a3 13.01 45.01
a4 ? 38.00
a5 20.00 75.00
etc,etc
a106 25.00 85.00

I need to add total gals column (A) and then total cost column (B).
I cannot figure out how to do that. I believe I read in a thread that I
can't add more than 30 lines? I have Excel 2003.

--
fool
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Jan 30, 5:14*pm, pitydafool
wrote:
I want to total columns on a sheet.
I have the following sheet: (a1,a2 etc line numbers, 2 columns A & B)

*__A__ * * * * * __B____
*a1 * * * * * * *GASOLINE
*a2 * * *gals * * * *cost
*a3 * * 13.01 * * *45.01
*a4 * * * *? * * * * 38.00
*a5 * * 20.00 * * *75.00
* * * * * * etc,etc
a106 * 25.00 * * 85.00

I need to add total gals column (A) and then total cost column (B).
I cannot figure out how to do that. I believe I read in a thread that I
can't add more than 30 lines? I have Excel 2003.

--
fool

If I understand your question, all you need is =SUM(B:B) in your
destination cells. There shouldn't be a limit to how much data you
can put in each one.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
there is no row limit to a simple sum formla that i am aware of.
use this formula
=sum(A1:A1000) and =sum(B1:B1000)
place the fomula any where you want. adjust the ranges to suit.

Regards
FSt1

"pitydafool" wrote:

I want to total columns on a sheet.
I have the following sheet: (a1,a2 etc line numbers, 2 columns A & B)

__A__ __B____
a1 GASOLINE
a2 gals cost
a3 13.01 45.01
a4 ? 38.00
a5 20.00 75.00
etc,etc
a106 25.00 85.00

I need to add total gals column (A) and then total cost column (B).
I cannot figure out how to do that. I believe I read in a thread that I
can't add more than 30 lines? I have Excel 2003.

--
fool

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There's really no limit to the number of lines you can total. Just use the
SUM function. Type this formula into the cell where you want your total to
appear:

=SUM(A1:A106)

Repeat for your next total:

=SUM(B1:B106)

The : indicates a range starting at the cell reference on the left and
ending at the cell reference on the right. So everything from cell A1
through cell A106 will be added together.

HTH
Elkar