Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to Round a Date to a Month

I have data such as:
05/10/07 May-07 72,045.00
06/11/07 June-07 27,000.00
06/11/07 June-07 98,468.25
06/28/07 June-07 28,778.80
06/28/07 June-07 92,722.80
07/10/07 July-07 3.79
The first column is the actual date and the second column is the same date
but just formatted different and the third column is cost.

I want to consolidate all cost by month via a pivot table and I have setup
the pivot table but it shows multiple costs for the same month. If I round
the dates in the middle column to the first of the month that they occur, my
pivot table should work.

How can I accomplish this or is there a better way to accomplish my task?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is a better way. Pivot tables allow for grouping and one of the options
is by month.

Right click on the dates column and select Group

A dialog will open up giving you a number of different ways to group the
data. So long as all of the data in that column is dates then Month will be
one of the options...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"evoxfan" wrote:

I have data such as:
05/10/07 May-07 72,045.00
06/11/07 June-07 27,000.00
06/11/07 June-07 98,468.25
06/28/07 June-07 28,778.80
06/28/07 June-07 92,722.80
07/10/07 July-07 3.79
The first column is the actual date and the second column is the same date
but just formatted different and the third column is cost.

I want to consolidate all cost by month via a pivot table and I have setup
the pivot table but it shows multiple costs for the same month. If I round
the dates in the middle column to the first of the month that they occur, my
pivot table should work.

How can I accomplish this or is there a better way to accomplish my task?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Month Round down

Assuming the date is set in Cell A1, set the formula in Cell B1 to:

=(A1-(DAY(A1))+1)

That was the way I did it. Hope this helps (14 months later :))

James_Thomlinso wrote:

There is a better way.
30-Jan-09

There is a better way. Pivot tables allow for grouping and one of the options
is by month.

Right click on the dates column and select Group

A dialog will open up giving you a number of different ways to group the
data. So long as all of the data in that column is dates then Month will be
one of the options...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"evoxfan" wrote:

On Friday, January 30, 2009 2:43 PM
evoxfa wrote:

How to Round a Date to a Month
I have data such as:
05/10/07 May-07 72,045.00
06/11/07 June-07 27,000.00
06/11/07 June-07 98,468.25
06/28/07 June-07 28,778.80
06/28/07 June-07 92,722.80
07/10/07 July-07 3.79
The first column is the actual date and the second column is the same date
but just formatted different and the third column is cost.

I want to consolidate all cost by month via a pivot table and I have setup
the pivot table but it shows multiple costs for the same month. If I round
the dates in the middle column to the first of the month that they occur, my
pivot table should work.

How can I accomplish this or is there a better way to accomplish my task?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

On Friday, January 30, 2009 3:07 PM
James_Thomlinso wrote:

There is a better way.
There is a better way. Pivot tables allow for grouping and one of the options
is by month.

Right click on the dates column and select Group

A dialog will open up giving you a number of different ways to group the
data. So long as all of the data in that column is dates then Month will be
one of the options...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"evoxfan" wrote:

Free Online Courses Available for Eggheadcafe.com Users
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ses-avail.aspx