Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel VLookup crash when typing "false"

While typing a vlookup function such as "=vlookup(A2,'Sheet2'!A:A,false)",
immediately after typing the "f" in "false", Excel will crash with the
following error:

Identify Label
There is more than one cell with this label:f
Select the cell containing the label to use:
[OK] [Cancel]

No matter what is entered following, the following error will occur:

Microsoft Office Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

This problem has been around for almost 5 years now. Is there a hotfix for
it yet? Or should I give MS another 5 years to work on it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I cannot seem to replicate this issue and have never heard of it, but here's
what I would try: if you're using Excel 2003 or earlier, go to Tools,
Options, Calculation, and turn off "Accept labels in formulas"
Does that help?
If it doesn't, type a 0 (zero) instead of FALSE.

"pcbins" wrote:

While typing a vlookup function such as "=vlookup(A2,'Sheet2'!A:A,false)",
immediately after typing the "f" in "false", Excel will crash with the
following error:

Identify Label
There is more than one cell with this label:f
Select the cell containing the label to use:
[OK] [Cancel]

No matter what is entered following, the following error will occur:

Microsoft Office Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

This problem has been around for almost 5 years now. Is there a hotfix for
it yet? Or should I give MS another 5 years to work on it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I checked this "Accept labels in formulas" and it is already unchecked. So, I
tried putting a check mark in it, but it still crashes.

I will try getting used to the "0" value, but I've been using the "false"
for so many years that it comes as a habit and sometimes dont realize it
until it's already crashed...