Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Exception list

I have 2 lists of names, List A and B. I want to create a list of the names
in list A that do not appear in List B. How can this be done?

Gene
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Let the list be in A1:A1000 and B1:B200
In D1 enter =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,$B$1:$B$200,0)),"",A1)
Copy this down to row 200
Column D now has the missing names
Select and Copy D1:D200; with it still selected use Edit | Paste Special
with Values specified
Now you have text, not formulas and you can sort D1:D200 to remove the
spaces
Maybe =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,$B$1:$B$200,0)),"zzzzzzzz",A 1) would be better.
Then you can sort the missing names alphabetically and delete all the
zzzzzzzz entries.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Gene Straub" <Gene wrote in message
I have 2 lists of names, List A and B. I want to create a list of the
names
in list A that do not appear in List B. How can this be done?

Gene

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Suppose List A is in A1:A100 and List B is in D1:D10, assume titles on row 1.

1. In the first cell of a blank column, say B2 enter the following formula:

=COUNTIF($D$2:$D$100,A2) and copy it down

2. Select B1:B100 and choose Data, Filter, AutoFilter
3. From the auto filter drop down pick 0.
4. Highlight the entries in column A and copy and paste them whereever you
want your Exception List.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire