Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default SUBTOTAL not refreshing when using advanced filter

I am working on a spreadsheet that was developed by someone else. There are
several data columns followed by 12 monthly columns containing numerical data
for each month of the current year. In the cell in the row immediately above
the heading of each monthly col is a formula using the SUBTOTAL function to
sum each monthly col. Using the regular autofilter feature, the data
columns are filtered by expense code, project number, etc. When the
autofilters are activated, the subtotals refresh with no problem. I was
asked to make their spreadsheet filter data using multiple criteria in one of
the fields, so I set up an advanced filter for them. The data filters
correctly, but the subtotals do not refresh. I have to double click on each
individual SUBTOTAL cell to get it to refresh. Any ideas?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Check to see if Tools, Options, Calculation is set to Manual.

What version of Excel are you using?

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"pjryan" wrote:

I am working on a spreadsheet that was developed by someone else. There are
several data columns followed by 12 monthly columns containing numerical data
for each month of the current year. In the cell in the row immediately above
the heading of each monthly col is a formula using the SUBTOTAL function to
sum each monthly col. Using the regular autofilter feature, the data
columns are filtered by expense code, project number, etc. When the
autofilters are activated, the subtotals refresh with no problem. I was
asked to make their spreadsheet filter data using multiple criteria in one of
the fields, so I set up an advanced filter for them. The data filters
correctly, but the subtotals do not refresh. I have to double click on each
individual SUBTOTAL cell to get it to refresh. Any ideas?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for replying Shane. No, calculation is set to automatic. I am
executing the filtering in vba subroutines, and everything is working except
these subtotal cells. Even though calculation is set to automatic, I went so
far as to recalculate the range of cells containing the subtotal formuals in
the vba code, and that is still not working.