Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Data Validation - Range Problem

Git a problem with Data Validation.
In column A rows 1-10 hold values, then for row 11 I've set the DV to "look
up" the range 1-10 for values to use - so far so good.

When I copy A1 and paste downwards for the next 100 rows, the DV "adds" 1 on
to the range ie for row 12 the range is specified as 1-11, for 13 1-12 and 14
1-13 etc.

I've tried a straighforward paste, as well as a copy and format paste but it
doesn't change.

Other columns I've done this with are fine - I just can't see what the
problem is with this column - I could rewrite it all out but I'd prefer to
know whats going wrong...

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Dave,
If you want to get always the range lets say A1:A11 when copying it you have
to use
$A$1:$A$11
If this was helpful please say yes

"Dave Eade" wrote:

Git a problem with Data Validation.
In column A rows 1-10 hold values, then for row 11 I've set the DV to "look
up" the range 1-10 for values to use - so far so good.

When I copy A1 and paste downwards for the next 100 rows, the DV "adds" 1 on
to the range ie for row 12 the range is specified as 1-11, for 13 1-12 and 14
1-13 etc.

I've tried a straighforward paste, as well as a copy and format paste but it
doesn't change.

Other columns I've done this with are fine - I just can't see what the
problem is with this column - I could rewrite it all out but I'd prefer to
know whats going wrong...

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No it doesn'e work.

If I have $A$1:$A$11 in A12 and copy to A20, when I open the Data Validation
Window it has changed the range to $A$1:$A$19

"Dave Eade" wrote:

Git a problem with Data Validation.
In column A rows 1-10 hold values, then for row 11 I've set the DV to "look
up" the range 1-10 for values to use - so far so good.

When I copy A1 and paste downwards for the next 100 rows, the DV "adds" 1 on
to the range ie for row 12 the range is specified as 1-11, for 13 1-12 and 14
1-13 etc.

I've tried a straighforward paste, as well as a copy and format paste but it
doesn't change.

Other columns I've done this with are fine - I just can't see what the
problem is with this column - I could rewrite it all out but I'd prefer to
know whats going wrong...

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Dave,
It works for me please be sure that you choose custom and then enter the
formula as well check that you have the $ before and after the A

"Dave Eade" wrote:

Git a problem with Data Validation.
In column A rows 1-10 hold values, then for row 11 I've set the DV to "look
up" the range 1-10 for values to use - so far so good.

When I copy A1 and paste downwards for the next 100 rows, the DV "adds" 1 on
to the range ie for row 12 the range is specified as 1-11, for 13 1-12 and 14
1-13 etc.

I've tried a straighforward paste, as well as a copy and format paste but it
doesn't change.

Other columns I've done this with are fine - I just can't see what the
problem is with this column - I could rewrite it all out but I'd prefer to
know whats going wrong...

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No, and it's only in this one column - when I use data validation in other
columns it's fine.
It's as if there is a formula embedded in the data validation rules that
always adds 1 onto the last cell reference when pasted.