Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default '# N/A" result in V-Lookup

I have a table of data, in rows and columns, let's call it "Data Table".

I have a second table (let's call "Report Table") that I need to add info
from from the "Data Table", so I am using a V-Lookup. Both tables are
appropriately sorted for V-Lookup purposes, and I am using the "FALSE"
desgination in the formula, requiring an exact match.

The key field being used for searching is an ID number, however even if an
ID number is exactly the same in both the Report Table and the Data Table,
the V-Lookup is not returning the appropriate result; rather, I am getting
'#N/A" as the result FOR MANY of the items in the Report Table, BUT NOT ALL,
which is why I find this strange...

For some of the V-Lookups, the output is proper, so I thought the format of
the cells in certain "ID number" cells was different than others (e.g. maybe
a character vs. a numeral), but the Report Table is a system-generated report
every month, the cells are not manually populated.

Any thoughts on why I might be getting "#N/A" for the majority of my outputs?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You may have trailing spaces in some of those ID numbers - you can
check these by using:

=LEN(A1)

and seeing if this is different than the number of digits you can
count.

If there are spaces, then you can get rid of them using TRIM, but if
you have non-breaking spaces (character 160) you will need to do Find
& Replace to get rid of them.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 15, 12:38*pm, mgm36 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I still suspect some items are numeris and others aren't.
Just reformatting as number is not ehough; you have to re-enter the "number
after that (F2, Enter).
Another option: select an empty cell. EditCopy. Select your "numbers".
EditPaste Special, check Add. make sure the search item in a number too
(for Excel too!)

Further possible problems are spaces or other invisible characters in your
data. This happens often when you import data from other sources. You can
chek with the LEN() function.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"mgm36" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi
If your request is returning #N/A , it's because its not seeing the same
thing.possibility is Non-breaking space< Alt 0160.
Do a test and first delete the information and retype it yourself. You can
remove Non-breaking spaces with Find & Replace.
HTH
John