Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Values on the fly

I'm looking for a way to automatically assign an 'index value' to cells in
column "index". Starting with row one, I want to assign "A" based on the
contents
of the "item#" and "country" cells in the same row. And then, I want "A"
assigned to
every row containing the same values in those columns. And then, I want the
next different value (in this case, the 2nd row) to be assigned "B"...again
with every other row containing the same values in the "Item#" and "county"
columns to be assigned the index value of "B"....and so on and so on. Is
there a function that can be combined with a logic statement to automatically
assign values to all cells in the "index" column?

Index Order Item#
country
1 8502 1 4215.00 4,215.00 TW
2 8943 1 1802.00 1,802.00 TW