Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Rounding to the nearest cent...currency values

I am having trouble getting either a product or sum to round to the nearest
cent.

How do I do this?

Example 6015.54x1.4=8421.76, However when I do this in excel, it ends up
being 8421.75 for some reason.

Or if I choose to add 6015.54 and 2406.22 (the latter a result of
multiplying the former by .4) it still gives me 8421.75...the actual
calculation works out to 8421.756, so obviously it is just dropping the last
number (or rounding it down to the nearest fifth one hundredth?)...I'd prefer
seeing as how I am working with currency that it rounded the final number
appropriately.

Help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Read this:

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/pennyoff.html

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Mr Mark" wrote in message
I am having trouble getting either a product or sum to round to the nearest
cent.

How do I do this?

Example 6015.54x1.4=8421.76, However when I do this in excel, it ends up
being 8421.75 for some reason.

Or if I choose to add 6015.54 and 2406.22 (the latter a result of
multiplying the former by .4) it still gives me 8421.75...the actual
calculation works out to 8421.756, so obviously it is just dropping the
last
number (or rounding it down to the nearest fifth one hundredth?)...I'd
prefer
seeing as how I am working with currency that it rounded the final number
appropriately.

Help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Unless you have the option "Precision as displayed" selected, XL
calculates based on the stored values in the cells, not the displayed
values.

If your multiplicand or multiplier are calculated, they're probably not
exactly 6015.54 or 1.4. You can expand the number of decimal places to
find out.

Working with currency should always be done with care to round
appropriately at each stage. As long as you're using floating point
math, there's no general way to prevent rounding errors at the end of a
string of calculations.

See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/pennyoff.html

for more...